Rolling shutter example - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 17th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I hope you are wrong Robert, cause I just put down for a Z7...even though I really wanted CCD (all the other features of the Z7 seem perfect!).

In regards to the earlier rolling shutter example, if you had your shutter speed at the same speed as your frame rate the effect is quite diminished. The 300 shutter speed means you get those little white bars that look nasty, a move even speed means you get a larger portion of the frame exposed and it looks a lot better. (mind you this is all hearsay from my research I have been shooting on FX1s and Z1s since they came out...skipped the V1 cause they looked nasty).
Andrew Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I'm with Ron on this one. I shoot a lot of weddings and part of the excitement is the flashflashflash of the paparazzi as the couple cut the cake, enter the room, dance together.

One of my wedding this year was shot on the EX1 and the 'half-exposed' flash frames just annoy the pants off me, whereas the Z1 handles the situation in a far more aesthetically pleasing manner.

Here's a couple of frames from the EX1. When a lot of such frames occur together it's horrible. OK, a flash is just a frame out of 25 that second, but even so, the Z1 wins this competition.

tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Rolling shutter example-img_5216a.jpg   Rolling shutter example-img_5215a.jpg  

Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
Um, i think it is the EX3, and will be at a HIGHER price point than the Z7.
there will be a new camera release dont get me wrong i am busting to buy the Z7 but mainly doing weddings i just dont know if it's the correct choice
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobodan Milivojevic Bobansky View Post
Hi,
for those that don't know how rolling shutter problem looks,
please take a look at this clip.
U should see big white squares when somebody flashes with photo camera.

www.bobansky.com/rolling_shutter.wmv

I cant get the link to work

Rob
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #20
New Boot

link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
I cant get the link to work

Rob
It is working!
Try to click over link with a right mouse button, and "save link as:"
Slobodan Milivojevic Bobansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #21
Major Player

Tom, that looks like shit. damn. i can't see plunking down that kind of money for
a camera that performs like this. I am going to ask my Sony rep if indeed a
new CCD camera is coming out.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Um, i think it is the EX3, and will be at a HIGHER price point than the Z7.
nope, the EX3 is essentially identical to the EX1 save for the form factor and interchangeable lens mount.

Quote:
Tom, that looks like shit. damn. i can't see plunking down that kind of money for
a camera that performs like this. I am going to ask my Sony rep if indeed a
new CCD camera is coming out.
The next CCD camera from Sony will be the PDW700 - already in the hands of many broadcasters who are working the Olympics. If there is another one coming then its being kept VERY quiet and I'd be surprised if there is another new camera this year.
Aaron Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #23
Major Player

$30,000. WAAAAYYYY out of my price range.
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Of course it looks pretty horrible if you film a police car or ambulance (say) that has electronic flashes on its roof - you get given the same 'partially-exposed frames' of course.

Thing is no two frames are alike - the over-exposure can be the top third, the bottom half. the top three-quarters - you name it.

But I doubt very much if Sony will revert to CCDs over this CMOS special. It affects my wedding films greatly, but most other folk will be unmoved by my complaint.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #25
Major Player

the only solution to this is the new Panasonic HPX-170. OR, for Sony to sell the
compact flash recorder separate, which is what I really want!
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
the only solution to this is the new Panasonic HPX-170. OR, for Sony to sell the
compact flash recorder separate, which is what I really want!
The HVRMRC1 will be made available separately in around November I believe. Not 100% on that at the moment ...
Aaron Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #27
Major Player

wonder what they will be priced at? $1500 a pop is my guess. it would cost me
slightly more than that to sell my Z1 and get a Z7.
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #28
Major Player

Slobodan i checked out your footage you posted camera flashes and the Z7 dont mix at all looks like crap.

This is why the Z7 is not selling that well in Sydney i dont know about the rest of the world but alot of people here have cancelled orders due to this issue.
What a disappointment this is supposed to be a professional camera i would understand if they use cmos in consumer cameras but in bloody PRO CAMERAS.

Go back to CCD i will pay Sony cut corners use cheaper material and still charge a fortune IT IS ALL ABOUT PROFIT nothing more nothing less

No disrespect to anyone that owns a Z7 i guess for documentary and corporate usage it's fine but if anyone thinks that camera flashes look fine you are in denial

Rob
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
Slobodan i checked out your footage you posted camera flashes and the Z7 dont mix at all looks like crap.

This is why the Z7 is not selling that well in Sydney i dont know about the rest of the world but alot of people here have cancelled orders due to this issue.
What a disappointment this is supposed to be a professional camera i would understand if they use cmos in consumer cameras but in bloody PRO CAMERAS.

Go back to CCD i will pay Sony cut corners use cheaper material and still charge a fortune IT IS ALL ABOUT PROFIT nothing more nothing less

No disrespect to anyone that owns a Z7 i guess for documentary and corporate usage it's fine but if anyone thinks that camera flashes look fine you are in denial

Rob
The flashes do look fine Rob and no I am not in denial.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Depending on the situation, the flashes to me look fine sometimes and look horrible at others. A single flash, as I have seen in some clips, look okay as a single frame passes by most viewers almost un-noticed. When you have rapid fire flashes, then that is where I'd get worried with the camera. Other situations which look horrible on this camera, are electronic flashes found on cop cars or ambulances, as have been mentioned.

So pretty much, I wouldn't say someone is in denial if they say flashes look fine, but this is an issue which shouldn't be ignored by sony. As far as I know, the Z7 is a first generation camera in its class, so this problem gives the camera lots of room for improvement in my opinion, so hopefully, sony will address it in the z7 replacement (Z8?).
Ryan Valle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270