B camera for Z7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:07 PM   #1
New Boot

B camera for Z7

Anyone have opinions about a "B" camera for the Z7?

We have a HVR-A1U, that was our tentative entry into the HD world. I like it well enough for what it is, but it's not a primary camera (IMHO, YMMV).

The Z7 is on my short list of new cameras - short documentary work, interviews and such.
But I'm curious if the A1U will still suffice as a B camera; can you easily cut in footage from it with the Z7?
Dave Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
Anyone have opinions about a "B" camera for the Z7?
Hi David - this is exactly my problem at the moment.

For weddings, I used to run a PD170 on tripod, and VX2000 as run-and-gun. A great combo. I sold both to buy a Z7 (with view to buying 2) but soon discovered the Z7 isn't a joy to handhold like the VX2000.

I am confident Sony has something in the pipeline (a 'baby Z7') smaller form factor, EXMOR sensor, acceptable in low light, fixed lens, and perhaps CF card functionality. This would be perfect.

Until then, I might need to keep borrowing my mates FX7 which matched nicely in good light - needed a bit of boosting in post for low light...

I did a trial with the A1 when it was released and the low light capability was really bad... in dim church it looked very brown and noisy.... don't think it would match with Z7 very well.
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I would echo John's experiences with the A1 - ok in good light but in poor light very difficult to match colours and grain, sharpness and contrast are terrible. I'm using a Z1 as my B camera. It matches very well without correction in post in other than very poor light where with occasional work in post it is certainly ok.
Hedley Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #4
Major Player

We normally shoot the Z7 as A and an FX-1 as B. I will soon be using a Canon HV30 as a B camera because we have several weddings booked on the same day and have to use everything we have. I'm going to try it out this weekend to see if there are any major differences. I'm hoping that if I white balance them together and the church isn't to dark, there shouldn't be many problems. The B camera is only used for about 10% of the Ceremony anyway.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I just did some tests with some footage from the Z7 and my V1u and they matched beautifully. The V1s are coming down in price. you might be able to pick one up used. It's not as small as the a1u but you can't beat using the same type sensors and settings. very little post work to make them match. It's also a lot less grainy in low light.

Bryan
Bryan Shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #6
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
Anyone have opinions about a "B" camera for the Z7.
My "Sony SR12 Handbook" is done. It's written for those who want to use it as a B-cam with Sony's other EXMOR camcorders.

--------------------------------------------------

The 225-page Handbook covers shooting with the Sony SR11, Sony SR12, and Sony CX12 AVCHD camcorders.

The Handbook provides detailed information on how to shoot to obtain maximum quality. This information overcomes the seeming lack of manual controls on these camcorders. Both novice and pro will find this information of value.

Many are new to editing AVCHD. The Handbook guides you through editing using iMovie 06, iMovie 08, FCE, FCP 5.1.4, Final Cut Pro 6.0.3, Premiere CS3, Media Composer 2.8, EDIUS 4.61, PowerDirector 7 Ultra, Pinnacle Studio 11 and 12, and Vegas 8.0b.

The Sony SR/CX camcorder’s use a 1/3-inch EXMOR CMOS chip that provides an excellent match to Sony’s EX1, EX3, Z7, and S270. The Handbook provide a well illustrated chapter on color balance and color correcting when shooting with the SR/CX camcorders.

The Handbook also provides detailed information on converting 1080i50/i60 to 1080p25/p30 – including 1080i60 to true 1080p24 – as well as converting 1080i50/i60 to 720p24, 720p25, 720p30, 720p50, and 720p60. Coverage of 720p is of special value to those who use 720p when shooting with the EX1 and EX3.

Chapter 1: Introduction to the Home Menu
Chapter 2: Introduction to the Option Menu
Chapter 3: Setting White Balance
Chapter 4: High-contrast Shooting
Chapter 5: Low-contrast Shooting
Chapter 6: Special Situations
Chapter 7: Editing AVCHD
Chapter 8: 1080i to 24p, 25p, and 30p
Appendix A: Sony ClearVid EXMOR CMOS
Appendix B: Analog Audio Connections
Appendix C: A Bit about AVCHD
Appendix D: Choosing a Flat-panel Display

To see in more detail what my Sony SR12 and CX12 Handbook offers you, scan the Table of Contents at the knowledge-download.com site where the eBook is available for download:

http://www.knowledge-download.com/Sony-SRCX/
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Major Player

B camera for FX7?

hi guys, i'm in a similar situation.

I used to shoot with a PD150 or a VX200 as my A camera, and a Sony TRV 950 (which is a 3CCD, and from what I read its the same chip/sendor as the VX2000) as my B camera. The footage mathced perfectly!

Last year I bought an FX7 and now use that as my A camera, i mainly shoot in SD but will be shooting HD as standard very soon so I need to replace my TRV 950.

So does anyone have a suggestion for a B camera to use with my (A cam) FX7?

I may upgrade the FX7 to the Z7 or the new Z5 thats coming out, but i still need an HVD B camera (the smaller the better, i.e similar size to TRV 950, not as big as the fx7 as I run and gun and need by B camera to be as small as pos)
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm using Z7 (a) and FX7 (b) works beautifully. The FX7 is plastic body and light as a feather - wouldn't want anything smaller for fear of being mistaken for a guest!
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #9
Regular Crew

New Sony HDR-FX1000

This new camcorder appears to have the same sensors as the Z7U but cut down for prosumer market. No CF capture, no interchangeable lens, no XLR input but just about everything else.

SONY'S HDR-FX1000 BREAKS THE MOLD | B&H Photo Video Pro Audio
Jon Goulden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hdr-fx1

I've been using the consumer version of the A1 and it's pretty damn close... IN GOOD LIGHT. as the light goes down the 1-chip cameras ramp up the gain and it's not a pretty sight. I shot a dance concert with Z7 and the Fx1 and they cut together amazingly well. the CMOS color was similar, using the 3200 preset.
- charlie
Charlie Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #11
Trustee

Z5 or FX1000 will do well. Z5 especially since it is also capable of 24p with CF card recording as option
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270