New Z7U - Downconverting 1080i or shoot in SD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 7th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New Z7U - Downconverting 1080i or shoot in SD?

Hi gang,

Just upgraded cameras from a Canon XL2 to a new Sony HVR-Z7U and I'm curious of anyone knows the process to get the best quality SD DVD possible out of this camera.

Should I shoot in HDV 1080i mode, edit 1080i in Avid, and then downconvert to SD when making the DVD

Or

Should I shoot in SD and just edit as normal?

What do you think would be the best way to go? I use Avid Media Composer ads my editor and Encore 2.0 as my DVD authoring program if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Ryan
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Downconvert when making DVD.
Chris Leffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I think outputting an SD file from the HD Avid project and feeding that into Encore will give you the best result, unless Avid can encode straight to MPEG2/SD. I imagine Avid would do a better job, but I don't know Avid - does it include a compressor?
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #4
Wrangler

Mod note: thread has been moved from the Z1 forum to the Z7 forum.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

downconvert to sd for dvd and master a copy of the video onto tape as hd.

that way, you're more future safe in case the client wants to come back for an hd blu-ray copy. plus, you end up with higher looking quality video on the dvd
Ryan Valle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Major Player

You might also want to consider discarding every other line of information to create a 960x540 30p file to save on editing time (and get that awesome progressive look) if you KNOW you're not going to go to need the high-def.
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Major Player

I shoot in HDV 1080i and then use the down-convert feature of the camera to capture SD files and edit in SD, deliver in SD. I found the hardware down-convert far superior to software.
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #8
New Boot

I just shot an HD program last week and made an SD DVD after the face using Compressor.
The dvd looked great.
Ed Plamondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Down convert on capture. Much superior SD than conforming to SD and MPEG2 at the same time.

The interlacing is handled better this way.
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #10
New Boot

Folks, the future is HD. I do not shoot anything in SD or downconvert from the camera in SD. Literally I take my M2T files from my camera and store them on hard drives. I then can play them natively on my PS3 or burn them to disk. If I ever make a DVD, I then convert the finished video to MPG. I noticed the quality is better this way. I use Sony Vegas Pro 8 and editing 1440x1080 is a breeze. Sometimes I like to change the pixel ratio to square and produce 1920x1080 (which is the same ratio as 1.33 at 1440x1080). However, keeping the same specs and dimensions 1440x1080 allow for a much faster rendering time.
David Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

i have noticed some slight artifacts and motion issues when using HDV for DVD. I started to capture with SD to CF and HDV on tape on the camera. The issues are gone when using the SD.

kdbf
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Best result with FX1, and we are talking about same HDV concept here, is capture and edit with Cineform intermediate codec in Vegas 8, then render to Vegas DVD Architect Mpeg video...
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Best result with FX1, and we are talking about same HDV concept here, is capture and edit with Cineform intermediate codec in Vegas 8, then render to Vegas DVD Architect Mpeg video...
Yes, that may be true but with the Z7 using CF cards there is no capture... It is really just downloading.

kdbf
Keith Forman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270