Sony Z7 auto focus problem - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 28th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #31
Regular Crew

1 more question John Knight :)

when recording on CF card avi file, is it stored as a single avi file until card is full or many avi files until card full?
Anthony Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Smith View Post
1 more question John Knight :) When recording on CF card avi file, is it stored as a single avi file until card is full or many avi files until card full?
Many. Each time you push the record button - it generates a new file. I know you are used to capturing one big file and then hacking away at it. But it's simple enough to import multiple files and pump them all sequentially into the timeline with a couple of clicks of the mouse.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Many. Each time you push the record button - it generates a new file. I know you are used to capturing one big file and then hacking away at it. But it's simple enough to import multiple files and pump them all sequentially into the timeline with a couple of clicks of the mouse.
multiple files are much better than single file i think.

is file numbering system the same as digital still camera?
the file numbers keep going up and up to thousands and thousands?
Example: 0896500 avi file

I think i like what i hear John :) you are a Sony seller now, should get some commission from them.
Anthony Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
is file numbering system the same as digital still camera? the file numbers keep going up and up to thousands and thousands? Example: 0896500 avi file
I'm not telling. :)

It's on Page 18 of the MRU Manual. (Which you are now going to read)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...l-hvr-mrc1.pdf

Or covered in depth in Doug's training DVD (Which you are now going to order)

Vortex Media's - Mastering the Z7 Training DVD

Quote:
I think i like what i hear John :) you are a Sony seller now, should get some commission from them.
Sony rule. I've been using exclusively Sony gear since the v5000 Hi8 was released in 1991. I've also got a Bravia 60" SXRD screen, and a Sony HDR-950 HDD/DVD recorder. Not once in thousands and thousands of hours recording has Sony ever let me down.
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Just a quick question John to a man who knows his apertures from his audio levels. What finally decided you on the Z7 as against the EX1? Here in England the prices are so close it's a difficult decision to make, and I'd like to hear your reasoning.

I holiday'd (can you say that?) in ChCh 19 months ago. Wish I'd knocked on your door.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Just a quick question John to a man who knows his apertures from his audio levels. What finally decided you on the Z7 as against the EX1? Here in England the prices are so close it's a difficult decision to make, and I'd like to hear your reasoning.
Hi Tom, yep, EX1 is NZ$12,000 compared to Z7 at around NZ$10,000 here.

EX1 is a beautiful beautiful machine, but not a good business choice for me.

(1) Major reason is that EX1 shoots exclusively HD. My clients view exclusively SD.
(2) My editing system would need a major upgrade to be able to handle HD 1920x1080i editing
(3) I would have to invest in some kind of XDCAM archive system. More $$$
(4) I would have to spend at least another NZ$6000 on SxS cards (which would be worth NZ$60 in a couple of years!!)
(5) I often shoot DV-CAM in the field and handover tapes to police/media. Would you hand over an SxS card?
(6) Think the Z7 is a little cumbersome to hand hold? Wait until you try the Ex1!

Easy choice.
Old August 29th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #37
Inner Circle

6 bullet points that shoot it dead, thank you.

I've used an EX1 for a wedding - loved it, loved the swivelling handle, the really sharp screen and the low light capabilities. But most of all I loved the results up there on my 46" 1080 LCD.

Know what? I thought I was squeezing the last drops of quality out of my Z1 once it was burnt to DVD-R and up-scaled into this big TV. But the EX1's footage just sneered at the struggling Z1 - I was eyebrows-raised surprised by the image quality difference.

The EX1 does with ease what the Z1 struggles to attempt - that's the best way I can put it. And I just have the feeling that however good the Z7 is it's a sideways step from the Z1, when in reality most of us should be leap-frogging.

But your bullet points make sound business sense.

tom.
Old August 30th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hedley - I find the Z1's top screen just fine out in the mid-day sun, though I admit to reading the zebras in these conditions. Surely the Z7's screen must be as good?
Judge for yourself Tom - I've put a couple of test shots on Flickr Z7 (right) v Z1 outdoor LCD test 1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Hedley Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 01:21 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Not quite sure what I'm seeing here. Both screens are in direct sunlight, at their default brightness settings? What's the diagonal line across the Z7's?
Old September 1st, 2008, 01:41 AM   #40
Major Player

beneath the shadow (?) over z7īs display : The z1 display looks much brighter than z7??

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:58 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Not quite sure what I'm seeing here. Both screens are in direct sunlight, at their default brightness settings? What's the diagonal line across the Z7's?
The diagonal line is NOT a shadow - it is a reflection which is not apparent on the Z1 screen which is much less reflective. As detailed in the photo descriptions on Flickr, they are both in direct light hazy sunshine. In the first test both screens are set at default mid brightness, in the second test the Z7 LCD is increased to maximum brightness.
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:02 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Can I take it that you think the Z1's screen is better in bright sunlight than the Z7's, though not as sharp?
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:09 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Can I take it that you think the Z1's screen is better in bright sunlight than the Z7's, though not as sharp?
Better outdoors period. However much sharper the Z7 is, if I can't make out the subject the extra resolution is useless.
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
. . . About 2 years ago I asked a simple audio related question about the dvx100 on the dvxuser forum and I got the same "we're sick and tired of these questions" replies as you did. It's this kind of attitude that will scare people away from a forum. Think that everybody is learning here and you have to realize that before you answer.
Wow . . am I glad to hear this. I thought I was the only one that was treated that way over there. Now I know why I pretty much left. Great to read ya'all :o)
Rodger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Mors View Post
. . c) From pro lenses I am used to some depth of field algebraics. With Z7 they seem to differ. Usually I zoom in, focus and zoom out. Usually I get the object focussed + a certain area behind. With Z7 I often got the impression, that in WIDE the subject doesnt stay sharp & focussed. Whats your experience?ULI
For now just commenting on this one. I think the DOF is quite narrow on this lens. I'm an old time Nikon FM2 guy and the one thing I noticed right off on this lens is that the DOF is tight on the close ups reminding me of my zooms on the old 200mm lens. Thus, when I zoom with the lens close in, I always keep my hand on the focus ring and the little finger on the iris just in case AND because of both the light change AND the tight DOF.
Rodger Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270