VCL-308BWH Wide-Angle Lens Hood & Filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 17th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

VCL-308BWH Wide-Angle Lens Hood & Filter

Are any of you other guys experiencing this? After you screw a lens filter on the VCL-308BWH Wide-Angle Lens, the lens hood won’t go back on. There’s simply not enough room between the filter and the hood. So if you plan to use any kind of filter, like a clear protective filter or a polarizer, you won’t be able to use the lens-hood.

I recently took the VCL-308BWH to a large electronics – camera store here in Tokyo. The store was nice enough to let me take the filters out of the boxes and try them on the lens but to my surprise, not a single one was thin enough to allow the lens-hood to be reattached. Not even the “thin” or “wide” type of filters fit.

I’ll keep looking for a solution. In the mean time if anybody else is experiencing this or has a solution, please let me know.
Anthony Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't have the wide angle lens, but it seems that since a clear filter fits on the stock lens, one should fit on the wide angle too.

should is the key word

a lot of things should be

Have you tried contacting Sony? It would seem pretty mean of them not to make room for a thin filter.
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Zach, the wide-angle lens is 82mm while the stock lens is 72mm. I thought I'd ask around first before contacting Sony, but that's on my list of things to do in '09.
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That's not good.

I was planning on getting the Z7 and the wide angle.
hmmm.....

As far as I'm concerned, a uv filter for protection is a must.

-Bill
Bill Petropoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Sony are telling you not to fit a filter to the front of their wide-angle converter, and it's very good advice indeed. When you're talking focal lengths in the 3 mm region then even keeping the front element of the wide-converter spotless is nigh on impossible, and adding a filter brings two more imperfectly cleaned surfaces into the picture. And with a filter placed ahead of the front element the dust and imperfections are even more included by the deep dof than the native front element alone.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Major Player

I never put any filter in front of my camera. If not in use, just a flip of a switch and the lens is covered and protected. I do event and never have a problem.

Jun
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Tom, thanks for the advice. the VCL-308BWH is the actual lens, it's not an attachment. My two-cents is always keep a protective filter on your investment. It's just a matter of time before it will come into contact with water, mud, gravel, a zipper, spit, what have you.
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Major Player

I guess the solution is to be extra careful w/ the lens & always close the barn doors (the lens hood has these just like the stock lens, right?)

overall, how do you like the lens?
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The lens has only been used on one job so far so I can't really give a good evaluation right now. But I'm satisfied with it. It's a good lens.
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Any noticeable difference in image quality from the stock lens?

I've found that I get problems with internal reflections from screw on filters on the Z7 stock lens. Has anyone else found this? It seems to be a particular issue with this lens.
Mike Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:37 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I certainly hope you're using super multi-coated filters with any lens you attach to your camcorder. Whatever you attach up there becomes your zoom's front element remember, and as such needs to have the very best coating available.

You're dealing with focal lengths in the 1"/8 inch region - so space your fingertips that far apart and marvel at the tiny dimension from optical centre to chip surface. And remember this - if Sony thought adding another element to the front of their zoom was going to improve it in any way then it would be there. It isn't, so take note.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for that advice, Tom. I'll reconsider using a filter.
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #13
Major Player

Review?

Hi Anthony, you have been using the lens for a while now and I would like to know what you think about it.
I'm really interested in buying a Sony Z7 with this lens, but would like to know more about it.

Could you perhaps share some footage shot with it? How does it compare to the stock lens, etc.?
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #14
Major Player

Same here, I would like to know how it performs. In the specs I see that is has a (35 mm equivalent) of 24mm in it's widest angle. That is not really wide (I'm used to 14 mm on my photo cams). Is it wide enough for you?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #15
Major Player

I can show you two newsitems I shot with Sony's wide angle lens and standard lens on the S270:

Wide angle lens:

Zwaargewonde bij botsing met wals op snelweg Zideo, de grootste Nederlandse videosite waar je geld verdient met jouw video.

Standard lens:

Grote uitslaande brand in leegstaande boerderij Zideo, de grootste Nederlandse videosite waar je geld verdient met jouw video.

For foreign users, please skip the Dutch language voice-overs....

Tomorrow I can shoot two footages with both lenses from the same position if you want.
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270