older Fujinon widelens suitable? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 6th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks for your support Stuart , it warmed the cockles of my heart!
I thought I was the only person left with these views, but I may buy the 5D MK 2 for stills when I get too old to carry my 270.
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #17
Trustee

I too think a stills camera is used for stills and a video camera for video.

As Stuart says its who is using it and their ideas that are more important and looking at the quality of TV production these days it doesnt matter how good the chip is if there is a monkey pointing it without any craft or experience.
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Another W/A recommendation

It's a gathering of the clans here! In fact it was Barry who said that and me quoting and definitely agreeing with him Garry.

Not to wander too far off Gabor Heeres' point I've long since had the two lens front end W/A set:

0WA7X5X00 Century Optics .7x / .5x Wide Angle Adapter Set for the JVC GY-HD110U and 100U (85mm Clamp Ring Required)

It gives you X 0.7 or X 0.5 which is W- I -D- E

Mine is labeled Optex Broadcast but it’s the same lens. It proved to be excellent on my Betacam SP, my 16 x 9 Digital Betacam and my old Canon XM1, now it seems really great on my GY-HD 201E; it's very good glass so it's really earned its keep.

Personally I didn't want to have to change lenses to go wide, I often need a long lens + doubler. I didn't think it a good idea to get a 'zoom through' at the time as they were a lot heavier and not good for the camera lens or mount. If you need to zoom in you can slip this Century W/A adapter off and into a belt bag. Some people leave a zoom through W/A on their lens most of the time. I really don't recommend that as you are not shooting through optimal glass and would lose the long end of the lens anyway.

With this Centuary lens on the front you focus with the macro switch. you have to keep it spotlessly clean and no dings as you'll see every mark.
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
I agree. It's a 'useful' wide-angle, but certainly to a public raised on dramatic, frightening widies, it's a bit tame. My 17 mm on the Z1 looks pretty good though.

Say - how do you get 14 mm focal lengths out of a 16 - 35 mm zoom?

tom.
Sorry, Tom. Typo. Had to be 16 mm of course. I wish I owned the 14mm fixed focal length though. Must have been wishful thinking.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I've used my 0.7x wide-angle converter in front of my EOS 28 - 105 mm zoom on my 10D SLR. It's not the sharpest combo in the world and needs to be used stopped well down, but it's a cheap way of getting wider stills should you need them.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270