Raynox HDP-6000EX HD Wideangle converter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 21st, 2009, 09:42 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I'm not so sure it is a 'stupid Sony' situation Mike. The Fuji lens on the Z7 is of a whole lot different construction to the Minolta (sorry - Sony G) lens on the Z5 and the Zeiss lens on the Z1, such that although they have the same filter thread diameters, the depths of the threads have been used to determine what fits on what.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM   #17
Major Player

Just out of curiosity, would it screw into a lens filter mounted on the camera?
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:20 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Paterson View Post
I thought I had read something about the Sony WA not working so I did some checking - the Sony VCL-HG0872 does not fit the Z7. Same thread size but the thread isn't deep enough. The (optimistic) salesperson I spoke said "..it works fine, it just keeps falling off.." Stupid Sony. So the Raynox remains the only zoom through option I know of. It's actually lighter than the Sony, although it doesn't look it. I might get one if I can find a good price. Will report back if I do.
Thanks Mike, please let me know if you have one.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #19
Major Player

Well, I bought the Sony VCL-HG0872K wide conversion lens yesterday and it fits the Z7 perfectly. It comes with some kind of mattebox and it has a bayonet fitting. Th optical quality seems very good, from the first tests I ran yesterday. If I get a chance, I'll check if it also fits the Z5.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:32 PM   #20
New Boot

Wa

i have one on my z7 and it works perfect.

best regards from austria
fred
Alfred Plotzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Well, I bought the Sony VCL-HG0872K wide conversion lens yesterday and it fits the Z7 perfectly. It comes with some kind of mattebox and it has a bayonet fitting. Th optical quality seems very good, from the first tests I ran yesterday. If I get a chance, I'll check if it also fits the Z5.
Fits on both camera's indeed and results are very good; the lens is quite heavy though
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #22
Inner Circle

It is indeed heavy and worst of all so bulky - with its petal hood it's not something that you'd keep in your pocket. Nicely coated, doesn't add too much barrel distortion (ouch) and is sharp all the way through. But for what? A pretty feeble 0.8x increase, turning a 35 mm into a 28 mm. Ho-hum.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #23
Wrangler

I read Adam Wilt's review of this lens recently: http://provideocoalition.com/index.p...r_for_hvr_z5u/

He indicates that it was designed specifically for the Z5 actually. I thought this was fascinating, and wonder if it would also apply to the Z7?

Quote:
The lens has the interesting side effect of correcting the Z5U’s worst optical attribute: a higher than normal amount of pincushion distortion through most of its zoom range.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Thanks for pointing me at such an interesting test of a wide-angle converter, Boyd. But although Sony's G lens pincushion distorts I don't find that an excuse for the converter to add some barrel distortion as correction. It is after all a wide-angle lens, and most people will be adding it for the increased fov coverage while at the same time (as Adam correctly points out) it is not without its side-effects.

So we've added a $1000, ½ kg lens that mildly widens the fov while adding to the barrel distortion and the flare. I hugely respect Adam's knowledge, experience and writing skills, but I did feel this review was written to make Sony smile.

Of course he's correct in that the lens is really designed to be attached at the start of the day and taken off at the end; a design for those that still want a 20x zoom but would rather have their focal lengths more balanced around the 'normal lens' position.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270