2 Camera's Damaged! laser light and CMOS sensit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #1
New Boot

2 Camera's Damaged! laser light and CMOS sensit

Just shot a wedding with 2 Z7's, and midway through the picture on each viewfinder messed up... Green strokes and lines... looks all psychadelic! we were shooting on the dance floor with lots of green laser lighting. We figured it has something to do with this? Any ideas? What what something like this roughly cost to repair ? :(
Bobby Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #2
New Boot

we were shooting with an FX1 and a Canon A1 too... both use CCD chips.. and these were fine . Really scary that something like this can happen...
Old April 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #3
New Boot

Lasers can damage the CCD/CMOS sensors, I spoke to the Panasonic technician, and he warned me never to point my DVX in the direction of a laser light source! He has seen some damaged video cameras and you have to replace the CCD's/CMOS sensors or replace the camera
Petrus du Toit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #4
New Boot

The way the stage was set made it difficult to avoid. Surely Sony thought this through . I sincerely hope it can be replaced...

any idea what something like this would cost?
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #5
New Boot

Bobby, I am sorry for the damage you suffered, I have no idea what it will cost to fix. you should contact your Sony reseller and find if this damage will be covered by the warranty.
Petrus du Toit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Just noticing this thread for the first time. Did you get the camera fixed? I wonder if there is a screw on filter that might protect a CMOS camera from lasers.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #7
Inner Circle

If these things can damage CCD and CMOS sensors then this hints at a health and safety issue which maybe needs examination????
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
If these things can damage CCD and CMOS sensors then this hints at a health and safety issue which maybe needs examination????
That's the truth. It was probably something where the camera was pointed directly at the light for a period of time.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:54 AM   #9
Major Player

Powerful lasers, such as the ones used for big shows, are emitting a very concentrated beam of light (laser stands for: 'Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation') and should never, and I mean never, be pointed at a human eye. Permanent eye damage can be the result. Operators of powerful lasers should always aim the beam over the head of the public. In your case, if it hit your camera lens, I suppose it could also have hit your eyes. That's an act of criminal neglicence from the laser operator, if you ask me.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I'd hate to be the harbinger of doom and break up the party, but it sounds as though the cameras were submitted to more than just a glancing peek at laser light - prolonged and repeditive exposure, more like.

The fact that both cameras suffered the same problem during the same shoot is a little more than simple coincidence.

As the failures were caused under 'abnormal' lighting conditions, no manufacturer would cover this eventuality under their guarantee. It's like submerging a camera in water and claiming it was 'a light rain shower'.

Laser light cannot be filtered out. The only way of avoiding this unfortunate situation in future is not to point the camera at the direct laser source.

The laser operators cannot be pursued for negligence, nor the venue. None of the wedding guests were blinded or hospitalised? You introduced the cameras to the environment, so the blame (and the repair) rests firmly on your shoulders.

It's an expensive lesson to learn and I'm sorry you've been through it.

Stu
Stuart McAlister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270