DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Comparing my Z7U to my FX1, a little worried. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/235819-comparing-my-z7u-my-fx1-little-worried.html)

Bryan McCullough May 21st, 2009 01:49 PM

Comparing my Z7U to my FX1, a little worried.

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, please bear with me. I just got my Z7U yesterday and am trying it out, trying to get comfortable with it.

I did some tests today outside, a guy riding on a bike. When I came back in to look at the footage I thought it looked pretty dirty, with a lot of compression. So I got my FX1 and went outside to do some tests.

Here's a screen grab of the sky from the FX1 and the Z7U. Both were shooting 60i and 0 gain. I white balanced on the same thing, but as you'll see it's not quite the same.

Please let me know what you think, it's causing me intestinal pain to think that my FX1 has a better PQ than the Z7U. I know this can't be the case, so I'm clearly doing something wrong. Please help me work this out.

Thanks!

John Knight May 21st, 2009 03:16 PM

Hi there,

Have you....

Turned all picture profiles off (indicated on lcd if on)
Got your ND filter set to '1' (and not half clicked in between somehow)
Got shutter speed locked at 60
Done the lens alignment reset thing (if you've taken the lens off while playing)

Just trying to think of some others for you...

Bryan McCullough May 21st, 2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Knight (Post 1146523)
Hi there,

Have you....

Turned all picture profiles off (indicated on lcd if on)
Got your ND filter set to '1' (and not half clicked in between somehow)
Got shutter speed locked at 60
Done the lens alignment reset thing (if you've taken the lens off while playing)

Just trying to think of some others for you...

Yes to all of the above. There just seems to be a slight compression haze across the image. Maybe that's CMOS, I don't know this is my first CMOS camera.

I'm mostly pleased with this camera and am in love with 30p. But I was a bit disheartened at the PQ compared to my FX1. Need to work at it some more I guess...

Ed Quinto May 21st, 2009 03:24 PM

What are your other settings at?

John Knight May 21st, 2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough (Post 1146524)
But I was a bit disheartened at the PQ compared to my FX1. Need to work at it some more I guess...

Somethings wrong somewhere - should blow the FX1 out of the water... hmmm....

Bryan McCullough May 21st, 2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Knight (Post 1146549)
Somethings wrong somewhere - should blow the FX1 out of the water... hmmm....

Well, tell me how to fix it. :D

Bryan McCullough May 22nd, 2009 09:13 PM

Ok, went on my first real shoot with the Z7U today. Where do I take my baby on her inaugural gig? A plant where they manufacture shingles. It was dirty, dirty, dirty. I was so concerned with keeping my camera clean I didn't pay much attention to the shots. Just threw it on 60i with about everything in auto.

Came back and looked at the footage tonight, and I'm pretty pleased. I compared it to some similar stuff I'd shot with my FX1 and the Z7 is noticeably better. I'm not sure what was going on in my initial tests, but I think I've come to be happy with the Z7.

I am running it at -6 gain, so that might be helping some of that compression noise I was seeing before.

John Knight May 22nd, 2009 09:52 PM

Good stuff mate!

Now buy this.... don't argue with me... just buy...

And don't mention that four letter word beginning with 'A' ever again!! ;)

Jordan Oplinger May 24th, 2009 11:34 PM

-3db on the Z7 is comparable, in my experience, to 0db on other cameras. -3 for us has been super clean.