Zebra - Peaking Tips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 27th, 2009, 03:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Zebra - Peaking Tips

How do you guys set the zebra setting to get accurate exposure? I'm thinking more during controlled lighting environments - interviews etc. Would be keen to hear some techniques as I've always just used my eye and monitor but would like to get more understanding of this subject.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi John,

I use 75% zebra's when people are involved and try to have a few zebras showing on the highlighted side of their face. I am also starting to find the histogram helpful now that I have been using it for a while.. . .I try to make sure that there are no peaks to the left(too dark) or the right(too light) but nice rolling hills with maybe a peak near the centre. Between zebra's and the histogram I can get light levels pretty accurate now.

Mark
Mark Sudfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Similar to Mark, I usually keep zebras at 70% and iris up to when I start seeing stripes on the brightest part of their skin. But I also adjust slightly depending on the brightness / darkness of the subjects skin.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
There's a great discussion going on over here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/open-dv-d...s-70-what.html

Just a further reinforcement of CH's mantra of using the ENTIRE forum. Hope this helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270