The spirit level horizon line at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:45 AM   #1
Inner Circle

The spirit level horizon line

Am I right in thinking that the Z7 is the only cam in Sony's lineup to sport the horizontal spirit-level line on screen? I think I really need this as I'm forever standing on tip-toes looking up into my Z1's top screen as I hold the camera high above my head and over the heads of others.

Am I the only one who has difficulty in judging horizontals and verticals in situations like this? For those of you who have and use this feature - what's your take?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Tom

I always have the spirit level displayed on my Z7 and it makes it easier to judge levels whilst handholding.

One thing I've noticed is that compared to the spirit level on my tripod, the level on the Z7 stays 'horizontal' and has a fair bit of leeway compared to the tripod - in other words the tripod can indicate the camera is not exactly level but the viewfinder says it is. Despite that I still find it a very useful addition.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Major Player

I LOVE it & think it is a great selling point that should be mentioned more.

I believe that it would be on at least the S270, and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't on the Z5. But I'm pretty certain that nothing before the Z7 / S270 have it. When I'm shooting with other cameras, especially hand held, I miss it dearly. I think it is similar to having audio levels on screen, yes you need to monitor the audio w/ headphones, but I like seeing the info right there w/o having to move my eyes away from the screen.

Oh & did I mention that I always have it on & think that it is great? Are you listening Canon, JVC & Panasonic?
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Matt seems to think it has rather too much tolerance and will say you're holding the camera level when you're not - do you find this too Zach? And how is the line generated, do you know? The inclusion of this tiny detail is swaying me more and more towards the Z7 and away from the Z5 - I would value it so much.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #5
Major Player

It isn't perfect & it has a little play in it, but better than nothing.
Old September 27th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #6
Major Player

It does have a small amount of tollerance, but despite that I always have it on and it is great for hand-held shooting.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #7
New Boot

Since it does have some "play" in it, one thing I have found useful is to rock the camera back and forth, like you would with the focus ring to find perfect focus, to better be able to find perfect level using the level indicator.
Mark Triolo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270