How to get better sound with mic on HVR-S270 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 13th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to get better sound with mic on HVR-S270

Which microphone to buy for HVR-s270 to get sound nearly as good as the XL2? I'm not satisfied with the sound that gives ECM-XM1. I am wedding videographer and I do not need "narrow focused" microphone. Sound with original Canon XL2 mic was perfect in any situation.
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #2
Major Player

I would suggest posting this question in one of the audio forums. Keeping this in the Z7 / S270 is probably limiting exposure.

Just mention that you're looking for a XLR self-powered or P48 mic, which you can mount on your camera and doesn't have a narrow focus.

You could look into a ElectroVoice RE50, which would have a very wide pick-up pattern, but would probably pick up a lot of noise coming from yourself.
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Goran
while the post should be in the audio sub-forum since it is audio related here's something to think about. The supplied mic on the 270 is an updated version of the same mic I got with my first PD150 9 years ago and it wasn't very good then so I don't think it's really much better now.
To improve the sound at a wedding reception get a hypercaroid mic. It won't help much at the ceremony unless you just want room ambient noise. Look thru the audio forum and you'll find many suggestions Audio Technica, AKG Blueline (I have that and love it). I believe that would solve the problem for you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270