Canon adapter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 14th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Canon adapter?

I was wondering if there is an adapter which would allow me to use my canon ef lenses I have for my xlh1? While I want a smaller camera for run and gun it would be awesome if i could also use my lenses for other types of shooting and not have to buy sony lenses.

thanks
Old December 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, you can use the Canon EF adapter.

Canon | EF Adapter XL for Canon | 3162A002 | B&H Photo Video

I don't know how the quality would be though as this is carried over from the SD XL.

There will also be a 7.2 magnification factor due to the difference in chip size of the XL and EOS cameras.

You can also use 35mm adapters to mount your glass, but thats another story.

Hope this helps.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Actually I'm confused as this is in the Z7 forum.

Do you mean use for your XL H1 or for the Sony camera?
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

can I use canon slr ef lenses. with or without an adapter on this Z7?
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Nope.

The Sony Z7 will only take 1/3" bayonet mount lenses. It is a very similar mount to most 1/2" & 2/3" video cameras.

Sony, JVC & Panasonic all use the same mount. Although the lens for the Z7 / S270 will only work on the Z7 / S270 b/c they have "internal" electronic connections.

The lenses that come with the Panasonic HPX300, or JVC series HD100, HD200 or HM700 cameras will work on the Z7 / S270. Both Fuji & Canon make some other 1/3" lenses that will work too.

You can also get 1/2" or 2/3" to 1/3" adapters to use lenses built for 1/2" or 2/3" cameras.

The Canon lenses for the XL1, XL2, XLH1 won't work with Sony, JVC or Panasonic cameras.

The Canon adapter which makes it possible to attach EF lenses to the XL1 & XH-L1 doesn't work on the other cameras.

You can get a MTF adapter which will allow you to attach Nikon lenses to a Z7 (or JVC or Panasonic), but MTF has said in the past they can't make a Canon adapter.

Just remember that with 1/3" chips you have a very different FOV with a SLR lens than when that lens is attached to 35mm film camera.

The Z7 stock lens is about 4mm - 52mm, and a "normal" FOV is at about 8mm. So a fish eye EF lens is going to be a telephoto lens a Z7 or any 1/3" camera.
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:34 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Zack,

Thanks for the extensive post. this solves my delima, I do not want to have to buy more lenses of a different make!

What a shame!!

thanks again.
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #7
New Boot

Canon ef Z7 adapter

I made an adapter but it is not quite finished. I have some shots with Canon 70-200 : YouTube - moon y2
Zoltan Lorincz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #8
New Boot

picture of a Z7 with a Canon 70-200

the adapter must be redesigned it is not strong enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon adapter?-img_8989_resize.jpg  
Zoltan Lorincz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

EF -> Nikon -> z7

Would it be possible to attach a EF-Nikon mount on a lens, and attach that to a Nikon-z7 adapter? Probably lose the functional purpose I guess...
Ed Mohar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:36 AM   #10
Inner Circle

The Nikon to EF mounts that are usually mounting Nikon lenses on Canon bodies - without optics in the adapters I don't think it works the other way as the back focus distances won't allow it.
You should never say never, there is always a way, lenses have even been stripped down to bare optics and rebuilt ina different body to convert from one mount to another! You CAN make/buy an adapter to put Canon EF lenses on a Z7, but you need to set the aperture before you attach it to the camera and can only adjust it by removing the lens, and the only by guesswork.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270