Z5 or Z7 for weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 8th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Z5 or Z7 for weddings

Now with the rebates the cost of the Z7 is about the same as a Z5 with the MRC1K. I only shoot weddings so low light and good lens control are the most important to me (I'm not concerned with changing lenses). I know the Z5 has a wider lens but the Z7 seems to have a faster lens, what camera do you suggest I buy.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Allen
Allen Bartnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Z7 vs Z5 decision

I chose the Z7 over the Z5 for four reasons:
1. Bundled with the MRC1K - once you use this you won't want to go back to tape only (tape is only used for archive now)
2. Faster lense
3. Interchangeable lense (not important for you) but i'm getting the Sony wide angle lense
4. Better layout of the controls. You'll have to hold look the Z5 and Z7 in your hand and get the feel of the buttons and their location, but I found the Z7 control layout (buttons) much better

Last edited by Peter Greis; March 9th, 2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Grammar
Peter Greis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I would choose the Sony Z7 as well. But after having a memory card fail on me in the past I am a bit worried about not using tape. Tapes rarely have given me problems and are the perfect backup if something goes wrong during the edit.

Just my opinion.
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #4
Major Player

faster lens + better handling was the reason for me to choose the z7 over the z5.

Only drawback: The Z7 does NOT feature color peaking... ;-(

If you put a strong peaking on a user button its easy to work with the cam even in lowlight situations. My tip for weddings: bring a nice & small dimmable soft light with you - just to raise the light level from nothing (when the dj turns his lights off...) to "a bit".

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Just ordered the Z7. Thank you everyone for your help & advise.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:10 AM   #6
Major Player

leave a comment when you received it!

Regards

ULI
Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Major Player

I just got a Z7, and while I don't shoot weddings, I do shoot some trainings handheld and if you are going to shoot handheld for any length of time. you will need some kind of support unlessyou have Popeye's forearms.

I'm working on a DIY support now (looking for counterweight). I love the picture quality, the tapeless workflow and the tape archive, but whoever designed this camera body format should be taken out and tortured.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Major Player

Allen,

There are SO many features within the menu system of the Z7 you will be astonished ...and pleasantly suprised. I bought the Z7 DVD by Vortex Media to get up to speed faster on my Z5. I've gone back and watched certain sections a couple times when I forget certain things. The video is really well done, IMO and also has suggested settings and explains when certain settings might be most useful. I bought it at Full Compass. It was pricey, but for me it was $75 well spent. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Note: I am not associated Full Compass or Vortex in any way.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:49 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Mark, I heard the same thing and ordered the DVD when I bought the camera. I can use all the help I can get.
Old March 25th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
I just got a Z7, and while I don't shoot weddings, I do shoot some trainings handheld and if you are going to shoot handheld for any length of time. you will need some kind of support unlessyou have Popeye's forearms.
I remember shooting guests handheld with the Z7 - mingling at a wedding reception. My arm couldn't take anymore than 30secs at a time!!! I must have looked really stupid. (Previously only used a lightweight PD170)

After 1 year and learning how to correctly hold and balance it (and probably building muscles I never used) I don't even notice the weight - could probably shoot handheld for 30 minutes+ if I needed to. It's amazing how your body adapts.

Still - always use tripod if poss.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #11
Major Player

Try adding a wide angle adapter on the front for a truly front heavy rig. I feel like I'm shooting the Canon XL-1.
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #12
Major Player

My way of handheld shooting is totally different:

Dont use the handle "as it is" but form your right hand like a "pistol" and place it UNDER the camera (got to shoot a pic so you can see it).
You cant access the Zoom rocker anymore, but the weight of the camera sits on your arm and wrist - much more comfortable than using the zoom handle.

Anyway, shooting long time makes a tennis arm, too... ;-)

Uli
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi guys

i read all the comments about Z7 and Z5 and it was pretty useful, but the thing is i already own a Z7 and i like it.... but i was thinking to get another 1 so i thought getting Z5 cause it coasts less and i really dont change the lens and even i dont record on compact flash but i usually shoot on low light alot so i was thinking is there difference in quality between Z7 and Z5 cause i will use them at the same time but i need to know from someone tried both.

hope im not asking too much guys

thanks anyway

Arlen
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #14
Major Player

At B&H the difference between the two is around $1,200 US. You might find a better price. With the Z7 you get the Memory Recording Unit (MRU), that sells for $740. The MRU's Cache mode is well worth the price as it constantly records a few seconds before rolling. This is especially helpful for those surprise moments when the camera is in standby. So for a difference of around $450 you get the MRU, true focus and smooth iris control. Having said that both cameras use the same 1/3-inch sensors so the image quality should be very close if not identical, not withstanding the difference in lenses.
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Thank you Lee but what exactly you mean by"true focus and smooth iris control"
with the Z5 is not the same ???

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270