Mack warranty: lens not covered! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Mack warranty: lens not covered!

I bought a Sony HVR-Z7U about two years ago, and with it, a four year Mack warranty. I just came back from a shoot in Kenya and Tanzania and have two minor problems with the camera: One, the record button on the top handle sticks, and two, the ring that slides forwards and backwards between programmable and manual positions sticks a little. No problem I thought, I paid $229 extra for an extended warranty just in case something like that would happen.

Today I get an email from Mack explaining that the lens section is a separate accessory not covered by the warranty and that they can fix it for $175 if I want.

Does this sound unfair to anybody other than me? Is this standard practice? If I had an EX1 or any other camera with a permanently attached lens, would the lens be covered? What do you guys think?
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Maybe I stand to be corrected, but I think you are being screwed around by your insurer. You purchased an extended warranty for your Z7U camera. A camera isn't a camera without a lens - it's simply a camera body. So, they should warrant your purchase of the Z7U AS PURCHASED. If the warranty has fine print outlining their "no lens" policy I doubt you can do much -- but it may be worth a shot.

Next time I buy an extended warranty I'll be asking more questions about what it covers.

Good luck.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah I'm being screwed, but I suppose I should have read the fine print before I charged the card.

From the warranty card:

"Accessories not covered include but not limted to cables, tapes, batteries, ac adapters, remotes, interchangeable lenses, and connectors. "

I suppose the memory card unit isn't covered either since that also detaches. There is also fine print saysing that the LCD is only covered for manufacturer's defects (in other words, it isn't covered at all) and that damage from such things as sand or impact are not covered either. I guess that would preclude my damage from using it in a drought stricken area since it was very dusty from lack of rain.

My opinion is that I was misled. I thought I was buying an extended warranty for the whole camera, not just half. I was sold the warranty that covered (and was priced based upon) the full value of the full camera. If they were going to exclude half the purchase, they shouldn't have taken the full price.

I'll tell you this much: I'm never going to waste my money on a Mack warranty again. This thing is useless as far as I can see.

For anyone with a Z7 or 270, you need to realize that a Mack warranty only covers the body of the camera, not the lens or the memory card reader. Not worth much at all in practice.
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Major Player

OK, the latest news is more positive. Mack agreed to do this particular repair for free even though I bought the wrong warranty. IMHO that speaks quite positively about the company. Hopefully I won't have any problems with either the lens or the memory card reader during the last two years of the warranty.

My understanding is that the mistake was made by the retailer who sold me the warranty with the camera. (Yes it was a DVInfo sponsor).

Anyway, the moral of this story is that if you buy a Z7 or 270, you need three warranties: one for the body, one for the lens, and one for the memory card reader. If you opt for just a warranty for the body, you should only get it for the value of the body without the lens or memory card reader.

The rule of them is that a Mack warranty only covers the body of the camera and anything permanently attached to this body.
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Trustee

Insure your inventory of gear with whatever company writes your auto/home owners insurance. Ask for "scheduled item" coverage. I have a bit over $5000 worth of camera/video gear covered for just over $100 a year premium.

Coverage is for theft, loss, fire, I get stupid and drop it. There is no deductible and if my 7D with EF 17-40mm f4L gets smashed, State Farm cuts me a check for what the B&H invoices show I paid.

If you are using it in business be up front. The premium will be higher by you will be covered.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Good idea for theft or catastrophic damage, but I doubt that such a homeowners insurance rider would cover things like a stuck record button or a focus ring that didn't slide between auto and manual positions smoothly.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270