CF Sony 8GB Recording Issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 10th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

CF Sony 8GB Recording Issue

Hello all,

Just a question if anyone has some input on this issue, I am using Sony's default Flash Card that came shipped with the Z7, and am noticing at the 4gb file split the audio drops out for a second, picture also loses 1-2 frames, is this a known issue with CF cards? seems like the card has issues, I am buying some Transcend cards tommorow, 16g 400x, run some tests with them see if I still get same issue....

Also am noticing on tape recording as well, on playback its dropping frames here and there, upon playing back on my viewfinder on my Z7 it like freezes? exact same spot each time, I thought it may have been faulty tape, but its happening allmost once on every tape, its a brand new - Replacement - Z7 Sony gave me recently, now im doing lots of work with it, im noticing these little issues.

Yes I ran the Sony headcleaning tape through it, and I do not get the dreaded "Dirty Head error" upon trying to record, it just seems really random, but I have come to the conclusion it is Camera issue side, not editing.

Cheers

Wayne D
Wayne Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #2
Tourist

Re: CF Sony 8GB Recording Issue

I have a new Z7U 3 weeks old and it didnt come with a CF card, and sony says they no longer make them, so that seems odd. I dont know anyhting about the tape side of things Im shooting only to cards. I am using Transcend 133x cards without issue. Well so far anyway.
Brian Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Are you using the Sony RTU (Recording Unit Utility)? That is what stitches together files larger than 4 GB.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Rob, I use the unit, but did not know of the software for it, never really used it, will try it out and see what happens. - Update - Thank You Rob, it solved the issue, no sound drop or frame loss now :)

I was thinking of the 133x cards but will try the 400x ones instead. I have allways been tapes, but with the quality CF cards around now, it may be worthwhile for me to look at changing to CF as main recording.

Cheers

Last edited by Wayne Dear; April 10th, 2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old April 10th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Glad it worked. I'm with you on the speed. I won't use cards under 300x but a lot of people have success using the 133x cards.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I emailed Sony about the tape issue, and it freezing like when u hit pause for a second, and to my amazement they dont even want to look at it, and have ordered another replacement unit, am I missing something here, seems maybe this is a known fault or something to not even want to look at the unit and just replace it again.

I have ordered a 32g Sandisk 400x online for $200, was either buy online for that or buy at local Harvey Norman for $300, hmmm I wonder what option I will take...

If I like cards more I shal order more :)
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Get Transcend 133x 32gb from www.memory10.com They are all you need. Rock solid. I've filmed 100+ weddings over 2 years and never skipped a frame. US$65
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Couple things...

1. Format every time in the MRC1. I find this helps reduce errors when going into FCP.

2. Also, while 133x is fine, go faster. The cards have widely gone down in price & up in speed. When you go to off load the footage you'll save time. And isn't that what this is all about?

3. If you have FW 800, get a Lexar FW800 card reader. I got mine from BestBuy's overstock site for about $40 years ago. Only downside with the unit is I love it so much that it now pains me whenever I have to use a USB card reader for SDHC cards.
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Cheers,

I bought five SanDisk Extreme CF 400x, and all seems great, and saved alot of time, as I dont need to run back tape :)

I also have a Card reader in my PC, takes every card, including CF, and using the MRU software it picks it up, and seems quicker than plugging the MRU into 1394 port.

Working a treat.

Thanks for input

Wayne Dear.
Wayne Dear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270