timecode breaks/out of sync audio on Z7U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 20th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

timecode breaks/out of sync audio on Z7U

Two issues with my Z7U are really making me regret owning this camera:

A recurring theme with the Z7U seems to be broken timecode when shooting to tape OR the MRC-1.

My camera recently began losing sync with the video (audio would record 15 frames out of sync with the video), and now I'm seeing multiple timecode breaks when recording to tape which appear on the timeline as red pixelated flashes, then the audio goes out of sync again.

Am I needing a play head alignment?

I cleaned the heads recently and it seemed to make the TC breaks worse.

I am guessing that the camera needs to go in to be serviced because I can't shoot a gig without spending hours correcting all the audio sync issues from the broken TC.

Thoughts?

-Scott
Scott Caplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: timecode breaks/out of sync audio on Z7U

I haven't had your problem, Scott, but I've had good luck so far with Sony diagnostics, both the West Coast one in Los Angeles and the East Coast one in New Jersey. If I remember correctly, they charged $80 for identifying the problem and if your camera is under warranty or has low usage, they will refund that charge as well.

Also, if you do a synchronous recording to file and tape and play back both in camera (VTR mode), you'll narrow down the problem.

Last edited by Jayasri Hart; September 20th, 2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Jayasri Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270