One more for the pot ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 4th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

One more for the pot ...

In order to get a bit more life out of my Sony Z7, I ditched the tapes and the Memory Card Unit and have opted to use the HDMI outlet by plugging in an Atomos Ninja-2 recorder (as seen in a previous posting).

There are a few different image settings for the Z7. Assuming it is set to 1080i, then; Interlaced 50 or 25 scans / progressive

The Ninja-2 reads the signal as either 1080p25 or 1080i50. I can the select whatever ProRes codec I want on the Ninja-2.

I have noticed that once the images have been imported into FCP, any time that the camera moves (not a still frame with something moving through it), there seems to be a bit of image lag. Despite lots of light on the subject and both the Z7 and Ninja-2 monitors not showing such an image, the resulting image is not that hot.

The other problem with the Z7 is the auto-iris (also, from an earlier posting). I hate this function and have never used it on any camera. However, I have learnt that the only way (to date) to disable this function is to make sure the IRIS control on the forward grip is set to MAN and that the AUTO-MANUAL switch on the left hand side is also set to MANUAL. However, that isn't all because even with these two switches in MANUAL, the iris still moves when the camera moves through differing lighting conditions. The only true way to really stop the auto adjust is to switch the shutter ON at around 60.

I wonder if someone would kindly take a few minutes to explain what I should do for the best results?
Stuart McAlister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: One more for the pot ...

Hi Stuart,

Have you tried recording to both tape and Ninja and comparing the results? This would rule out the camera settings if the tape looked fine and the Ninja clip had issues.

I would look at the clip properties in FCP and make sure that it shows UPPER FIELD FIRST which is correct for HD footage. Not sure what you mean by "lag" but if the field order is incorrect that could be what you are seeing. I've used Atomos recorders with Sony 1080i HDV cameras with excellent results, so there should be a solution.

Thank you
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: One more for the pot ...

Jeff,

Good point. Will take a look and report back.

Thanks again,

Stuart
Stuart McAlister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270