DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   New Sony NEX-EA50EH Announcement (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/510053-new-sony-nex-ea50eh-announcement.html)

Chris Harding December 26th, 2012 08:08 AM

Re: New Sony NEX-EA50EH Announcement

Hi Noa

I'll have mine in January so with a 2nd shooter she can do the cutaways on the HMC cam and I'll do shots on the EA50 so you can get an idea of what the camera can do and it won't affect my weddings at all as I'm still covering them with the Panasonics...With receptions I have plenty of free time to shoot events like dancing so I can alternate between the HMC and the EA-50.

I have two more this weekend with only the HMC's but I have six weddings in January where I can use both cameras so I should be able to generate a fair amount of varied footage!

Yeah I'll skip the $20 ebay ND's of course ..The Lightworks ND's are $100 ++ so they should be good!

Chris

Randy Johnson December 29th, 2012 09:08 PM

I was thinking in a pinch couldnt you just kick up the shutter in situations where you would need a ND filter?

Chris Harding December 29th, 2012 09:46 PM

Hi Randy

The auto mode does that for you ..but the main issue would be that if it's really bright and sunny the camera might decide on 1/500th shutter and say, F11 which would tend to be out of the sweet spot for aperture....High shutter is not an issue if there is no action but if it's a fairly active scene then it's better to use a variable ND to pull down both shutter and iris ....No-one knows what the sweet spot on an APS-C sensor is yet but maybe it's a safe issue to keep it around the F6.8 are in that region ??

Chris

Jody Arnott December 29th, 2012 09:57 PM

Hey guys,

Would anyone that has the EA50 be able to measure the dimensions of box it came in?

Would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Dmitri Zigany December 30th, 2012 02:41 AM

I just moved it down to the basement...
But take a look here:
Sony NEX-EA50EH (NEXEA50EH) NXCAM Large Format Sensor camcorder with E-mount lens system
Under specifications it says the box is 550 x 245 x 245 (mm).

Jody Arnott December 30th, 2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany (Post 1770203)
I just moved it down to the basement...
But take a look here:
Sony NEX-EA50EH (NEXEA50EH) NXCAM Large Format Sensor camcorder with E-mount lens system
Under specifications it says the box is 550 x 245 x 245 (mm).

Fantastic, not too big then. Thanks for that :)

Peter Rush December 30th, 2012 09:06 AM

Re: New Sony NEX-EA50EH Annaouncement

Does anyone know of the viewfinder can rotate for getting high or low shots? being so used to this it would be a major issue - especially with not having ND filters - I may start to look elsewhere

Pete

Ed Betz December 30th, 2012 09:37 AM

Sure, you can rotate it up, down, around and in... No preolems

Joris Rens January 4th, 2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1768930)
What will you be using the camera for?

Hi Noa, sorry it took so long to reply. I hardly got by reading the posts on this forum... Hopefully I'll have a bit more time to post as well.

I'm just a starter in the video world. I'm a graphic designer, but since many years I missed a 3rd dimension in those flat designs. I've always liked moving pictures much better, and whenever I did some cutting for video or added graphical effects to a video, I got very anxious. I love the medium, but didn't have the time to start working with it. Until now. I've started a course in video production since past summer and I'm starting on my first projects.

What I'm most interested in for the moment is low budget documercials, mostly for the web. So, a commercial documentary which tells you something about a product, person, company, service to get people interested in participating in some way... (Does what I write make sense?)

I'm mostly interested in the EA50 because it seems a versatile camera to me and not too pricey. I like the FS100/700 as well, but the ergonomics are not that great, and before you get them ready to film, you need at least twice the budget. AF101 was an option as well, but somehow the ergonomics of the EA50 seem better to me. The BMCC is also still interesting, but ergonomics are not so nice, I would need more stuff before I can film and... it's not available.

I'll probably buy an EA50 somewhere this month. Hope they will be available when the decision is final. Switserland will not be a good idea like you said, because of the import taxes. So maybe I'll go to Holland as well, or I might just stay a bit closer and go to ES broadcast. Who knows maybe they have one for rent in the next couple of weeks...

Did yours arrive already? I've just noticed there where no more posts in this thread for a week. Might be that everyone has got their EA50 and is busy making footage :-).

Joris

Chris Harding January 4th, 2013 07:57 AM

Not quite yet for me..Mine was ordered and paid for on 28th but has been delayed in transit.

Our stupid National Parcel Service decided to take off New Years eve (and New Years Day) so everything is delayed by at least 4 days now..technically mine should have arrived today but sadly it's still "in transit"

I'll also use the EA-50 for some Realty shoots which are inside and outside so I'll see how the lighter camera compares to my Panasonics which get awfully heavy after an hour so that might be a huge asset.

I think Noa mentioned that his supplier said next day delivery so he might just be out playing with his new toy!!

Chris

Noa Put January 4th, 2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

I think Noa mentioned that his supplier said next day delivery so he might just be out playing with his new toy!!
You bet I am :D

I have been just staring at it the past hours, don't dear to touch it yet.

It's quite a beast when I place my xh-a1 next to it, I think about 10 cms longer but wheight feels about the same. I was thinking previously to shorten the bazooka loupe but it looks that is not going to improve the ergonomics so it's best to leave it alone.

I think Sony fx1000/nx5 user will feel right at home, lot of controlls looke like the fx1000 my dad has.

Only the wheather suxs right now, it has been raining constantly the past days but the forecast for tommorow is no rain so I"ll go out and shoot then. In the meantime I have to figure where my wife will be sleeping this night as our bed won't fit us both and the camera, imagine she would roll onto it in her sleep . :)

I"m ordering a adapter today as well for my Samyang lenzes so I can play with that next week.

Noa Put January 4th, 2013 09:14 AM

Just shot my very first footage, some buildings from inside through a window as it still is raining a bit, first impression is that eventhough moire and aliasing are there, they are less noticeable then on my dslr but will know more tomorrow if the wheather permits, I"m taking my 550d along with the wide angle lens.

The power zoom is quite noisy but the digital zoom is completely silent, didn't Sony advertise it was visual lossless? Well you have to be blind not to see the image is taking a resolution hit, I can clearly see the image getting softer while I zoom in (and I was in focus). Will check especially with my Samyang primes what that gives as that is a unique feature.

I do like the image presets, I took the ITU709 preset which seems to have quite a lot of dynamic range, I prefer shooting as flat as possible so I can decide in post how it has to look.

Lee Berger January 4th, 2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1771107)
The power zoom is quite noisy but the digital zoom is completely silent, didn't Sony advertise it was visual lossless? Well you have to be blind not to see the image is taking a resolution hit, I can clearly see the image getting softer while I zoom in (and I was in focus). Will check especially with my Samyang primes what that gives as that is a unique feature.

I noticed the same thing using the 50mm f1.8 prime and the kit zoom. To me the power zoom is virtually useless, especially at the start and stop. Even so, I still think this camera is a good value for it's intended market.

Noa Put January 4th, 2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Even so, I still think this camera is a good value for it's intended market.
I did some more shooting in the house with gain up to 30db and it's not that more noisy then my 550d at 1600 iso that I use a lot so for me usable. The image I"m looking at right now of what I just shot looks pretty darn good, even with the slow lens I can get some very nice soft bokeh when I shot one of our cats up close, focussing is easy with peaking and the 4 or 8 times focus magnifier during recording is great and there is even a histogram.

My very early first impressions are realy good, I like a lot what I see so far.

Noa Put January 4th, 2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joris Rens (Post 1771076)
So maybe I'll go to Holland as well, or I might just stay a bit closer and go to ES broadcast. Who knows maybe they have one for rent in the next couple of weeks...

I can definitely recommend "cameranu" in the Netherlands as they have a excellent service, I have to check beginning next week but I believe the camera comes with standard prime support meaning in case of a malfunction during warranty the camera will be picked up at your place and delivered back to you so then it doesn't matter where you buy and the camera comes with a 2 year warranty. This it what they told me in that Swiss store so I guess the same should apply here.

I"m going to stop talking about the camera now and start shooting, there has been enough said already, time to test the thing. :) Will post as soon as I have something decent online.

ps. I"m often in Heusden-Zolder which is just a 20 min drive for you, if you want to check out the camera just give me a sign if you want to drop by.