DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   New Sony NEX-EA50EH Announcement (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/510053-new-sony-nex-ea50eh-announcement.html)

Alister Chapman October 20th, 2012 03:44 PM

re: New Sony NEX-EA50EH Announcement

I shot some fast pans of buses and trams going past and when you watch the footage you don't notice any skew, but if you step through it frame by frame you can see the buses are slightly twisted. I've seen better and I've seen worse, unless your shooting fast action like sports I don't think most people will find it a problem.

Craig Seeman October 21st, 2012 10:11 AM

Thanks Alister. When I hear another reviewer describe the problem as "severe" and puts it in the class of the earliest DSLRs used for video, it implies bad. Your description sounds much more serviceable and tolerable for a camera in this low price range.

Craig Seeman October 21st, 2012 10:27 AM

Another review went on line a couple of days back sans production lens.
ProVideo Coalition.com: Bruce's Blog by Bruce A. Johnson | Founder

It's more technical, functional, form factor than image evaluation.
Seems Bruce Johnson feels it's a little to easy to accidentally turn off.
Although only alluded to, it seems low light performance isn't a highlight although he mentions the slow lens he was given and having to gain up indoors.
He likes the full size HDMI connector but regrets no SDI.
He loves the viewfinder but not the tube one might use with it (described as fragile).
He mentions the lack of time code sync for multicam but I certainly wouldn't expect that in this price range. Alas we live in the age of Plural Eyes after all.
The nifty feature pointed to is the 2x digital zoom. This is great used of the APS-C sensor (uses the sensor size rather than digital image blow up for those who don't quite grasp the significance).

Kyle Root October 26th, 2012 07:16 PM

As a wedding and event video guy, I'm really interested in this camera to compliment my NX5U.

The big selling point for me back when I made the switch from Canon to Sony was, the fact that I could simultaneously record to both SD and the FMU for instant backup. Which, in this field is huge.

The price is great. The feature set looks great. The capabilities look pretty good.

Now, just got to save up some $. lol

Noa Put October 28th, 2012 09:53 AM

Only 480p now? When I last looked I thought there was 720p as well? Must say the images out of this camera look pretty good to me.

Stephen Gradin November 16th, 2012 02:21 PM

Wondering why this camera can shoot 30p, which is great, none of the other Sony APS-C sensor camcorders have this feature, even the new FF VG-900 doesn't have it. I am also wondering why Sony seems to be dropping 30p except for all of the news type camcorders. I like shooting 30p. Is having 30p on a camcorder not necessary any more, just shoot 60i and drop it into a 30p timeline if you want progressive?

Also wondering if you can record true 4:2:2 out of the HDMI port. I have yet to find where there is a straight answer on this one. Thoughts anyone?

Craig Seeman November 16th, 2012 02:49 PM

Specs from AbelCine
Sony NEX-EA50UH Camera with 18-200mm Servo Zoom Lens - DEPOSIT :: Compact HD Cameras :: Cameras :: Equipment Sales :: AbelCine

1920x1080p60
HDMI output would be 4:2:2 but probably only 8 bit.
Note they list that it supports TimeCode on HDMI as well much as the FS series does.

Sony UK has product page up but not seeing it in US yet.
NEX-EA50EH (NEXEA50EH) : Product Overview : Sony Professional

Ron Evans November 16th, 2012 03:41 PM

60i will not give you 30p in any way as the temporal motion is the same as 60P it just records fields instead of full frames. Just half the vertical resolution compared to 60P but the same motion characteristics. If you want the slow frame rate you will have to record it that way. Confusion comes in that 60i is called 29.97 fps but that is timecode not exposure rate. Exposure rate is 59.94 fields per second. Camera is taking exposures at the same rate as 60P.

Would still like to know if it has touch focus like the consumer cameras.

Ron Evans

Randy Johnson November 16th, 2012 09:33 PM

I cant wait to see this camera, if its at least as good in low light as my AG-HMC 150s I am buying 2!

Alister Chapman November 17th, 2012 11:02 AM

Pretty sure the viewfinder is not a touch screen.

Matt Davis November 17th, 2012 11:08 AM

I got to play with one at the F5/55 launch event in London and IIRC (i.e. I have a really strong memory of doing this) 'tap to focus' Spot focus was enabled.

Apologies if this is the Mother Of All Middle Aged Moments, but Tap To Focus would make a lot of sense on this style of camera.

Ron Evans November 17th, 2012 12:05 PM

That is good to know. The spec did say touch face so i wondered if ordinary touch focus was there too. In face detection mode the camera is normally in auto . I like having CX700 etc in manual but being able to touch focus. I hope this is how it is implementd in th EA50.

Ron Evans

Stephen Gradin November 17th, 2012 07:25 PM

I wonder how good this camera can be in low light with the stock lens, which is not a fast lens. If anyone has used this 18-200 mm lens with the other cameras in this category, I would like to know your feedback. Does raising the ISO and/or adding Gain allow you to shoot in low light with this lens and not get added grain to the image?

Unregistered Guest November 17th, 2012 11:27 PM

I was thinking the same thing. That slow stock lens on that camera can't be good in low light even with the large APS-C sensor. I'm considering a JVC GY-HM600 for its low light capability (among other things) instead of the EA-50.

Chris Harding November 18th, 2012 12:25 AM

Hi Guys

Nothing wrong with popping on a Sony 50mm F1.8 when you have low light..with the unique 2X internal zoom you still have a 50 -100 zoom lens and still autofocusable too!

With no ND filters (which suits me doing solo shoots with 2 cameras at weddings), does anyone know if the auto-iris simply uses a combination of iris and shutter to control exposure or does it also have an automatic internal ND filter like the Panasonic HMC40/80 and new AC-90 cameras have ??

The stock lens at F3.5 will need LOT's of light and Sony have rated it at 7 lux so I'm also wondering if the lens will only be good outside ...some Churches we have are fairly dim inside too!!

Chris