Sony NEX-EA50 announced... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 17th, 2012, 07:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony NEX-EA50 announced...

Repacked VG 20 & XLR an a power zoom and lot of buttons...
Werner Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

re: Sony NEX-EA50 announced...

You are too late :)

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

you are free to chose the fear you want...
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Trustee

I think I'll just hang hang on to my VG20 until the real next step from Sony - 10/12 bit cameras.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Goodbye Frankenrigs. Hello NEX-EA50 :)

FWIW - here are my views on the new camera (spoiler: I like it ;)): Hybrid Camera Revolution: Goodbye Frankenrigs! Hello Sony NEX-EA50!

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 12:00 PM   #6
HDV Cinema

Hits all my "must have's" except for no ND filter and photo shooting.

If you want shallow DOF you MUST use and ND. With the wide selection of lenses -- that's a lot of ND filters if you really have a large selection of lenses -- which is kind of the point of an interchangeable lens camcorder.

Inclusion of photo means an OLPF designed for 16MP when for video you want one designed for 2MP.

For a $2500 camera these are just nits. At $4500 they are red flags.

Plus, I find the BM or DB more "interesting." To me, 8-bit, 4:2:0, AVC compressed video is such a legacy technology. But, you know Sony will milk this technology for as long they can. Then it will be Hi8.

My experience with JVC's QuadHD camcorder says I won't buy anything but a 4K2K camera for creating HD productions.
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Trustee

"For a $2500 camera these are just nits. At $4500 they are red flags."

Pretty much nails it.
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
"For a $2500 camera these are just nits. At $4500 they are red flags."

Pretty much nails it.
Why is that?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:03 AM   #9
Trustee

B/C a camera that comes out that is essentially a VG20 w/ 2 XLR mic inputs and some more buttons (and not much else) isn't worth $4,500 in my opinion. You can buy the FS100 for that kind of bread.

I like my VG20 a lot - it's a proper camera in many ways. But it doesn't have XLRs, sharpening, or control over contrast. If a shooter thinks those things, plus a slightly larger profile (and arguably "sexier" look) are worth $3,000, good.

But not me. It's using the same exact glass as the kit lens. It uses uses the same chip, the same processing, the same compression technique, the same color space, the same lens mount, the same frames rates, same HDMI out only (no SDI), same lack of ND wheel, yada.

The new camera's real tangable advantage is having full manual control over the image and 27 pushable/switchable buttons compared to the VG20's 14 to help use that functionality. Remember though, the EA50 doesn't have a flip out touchscreen - same screen as FS100. I don't hate the screen and I know that I would never want to go back to a "dumb" screen, regardless of button set.

As to whether or not the EA50 can it be used as a (actually very good) still camera like the VG20 is a bit of a mystery - some sites like Phil Bloom say no, and Sony's site says yes. Ditto that for timecode - conflicting reports. But as the VG20 marketing showed us, you can't always take Sony at their word on that front.

No, the bottom line is that your paying $3,000 for 13 more buttons, lack of touchscreen, 2XLRs, and a really nice form factor - and not much else. Add to that that it's $4,500 ENG cam with no ND filter, and I'd say this is overpriced by $1,500 to $2,000. But to each their own - speaking only about my own tastes/needs.

I suspect wedding guys will absolutely love this thing.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:05 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
I suspect wedding guys will absolutely love this thing.
Not for 4500, if it was around 3000, then yes, I could live with the limitations of which a missing ND filter is by far the biggest. If you want DOF control you"ll need the ND, with my dslr camera I can understand why it's not there but with the videocamera's Sony has in the higher priceranges (like the fs100) I can't understand why they keep forgetting the ND filter, it's not like it's technically impossible to integrate and for a pricetag of 4500 I expect it to be there.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #11
Regular Crew

In this interview with Dan Chung it is the price arround 300U$ for the body only (China)
in Ebay it is 9500$ now, with lens crazy!

http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2012/...-demonstrated/

In general I dont think the ND Filter is such a Problem.
I like Manual Exposure with a Vari ND in front and can fine tune the exposure with very subtle variations...
Old August 26th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #12
Inner Circle

ND is not an issue for me either as all my projects are indoors. It may make a good alternate to my NX5U as it seems most of the accessories will be the same. Batteries, LANC, FMU128 etc.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Inner Circle

By this time, most large format shooters have gotten used to the no ND Filter configuration.

This camera seems to have answered a lot of issues. Even more interesting is the fact that it looks like you don't need any additional equipment to make it an event shooters camera. For cinema type shooting it certainly reverses the trend from small foot print.

I certainly want to hear more about features like picture profiles to be sure Sony isn't still crippling this camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)