Few questions about EA50OH - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 17th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Few questions about EA50OH

Now, now... I would prefer that we please not go down the "RTFM" route, which seems to spoil other forum sites... thanks in advance!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #17
Trustee

OK, your right, I get it. I will play nice.

Steve
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris

We always try to be civil and helpful ... being the only really decent forum online we do value DVInfo immensely. Everywhere else the EA-50 hadly gets a mention and here we have a core of wildly enthusiastic people giving and receiving critical information. It's my first visit in the morning (and half a dozen times a day too!!)

It's tough to just read the manual..what I like to do is use the PDF version and have it up on the computer and physically have the camera in your lap so you can actually try each section out that interests you and apply it to the camera.

On average manuals are not that well written (the worst were my HMC80's) The Sony manual is actually quite good but you remember how things work much better if you read and apply then and there...well for me anyway.

Sometimes we are impatient and want results fast!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi all,
not a 50 owner but the RTFM quote got me going for a while- I thought WTF does that mean? but then I got it! ( a bit slow after a couple or five of red wine!) and you are so right CH. There are some unbelievably pompous sites around. I am a Tiffen steadicam owner and the tiffen site is so elitist I will never post there!

Regarding manuals- I always send the PDF to my local printer and get it bound with any hard copy supplied- my 160A manual came to $30 NZ which is a real bargain to have in the jolly ol' camera case on location.. when you think it is about a third of the cost of a decent SDHC card, for me it is a no brainer.
Cheers!
Rod
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Rod

I gave the EA-50 some cutaway footage on Saturday as a trial shoot (learn't a lot since then!!!) and I wanted to play back the clips to see what went wrong and guess what? I never checked that part of the manual and yes, it was on my computer and I was 300kms South..!! Logic tells you to switch the mode to playback, right? Sony don't have a playback mode ..just video/photo ...After I got home I found to view the thumbnails you need to press the "Visual Index " button... could have used a manual then!

Hmmm maybe a hard copy IS a good idea !!

Chris
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hmmm maybe a hard copy IS a good idea !!
Does the camera come with only an electronic copy of the manual?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Eric

Not at all...it comes with a very useful pocket sized manual which could easily be kept with your gear BUT did I put it with my gear?? Nope!! Panasonic have this annoying feature of giving you a two part manual ..Part A is hard copy which tells you stuff a monkey could understand ..ie: push the start button to record but absolutely no settings etc etc ..The part B is on a CD which isn't much use in the field.

The Sony manual is actually a lot more "understandable" than others too !!

Chris
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
what I like to do is use the PDF version and have it up on the computer and physically have the camera in your lap
I do this as well but these days, my variation is PDF on the iPad...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)