B-cam for EA50? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: B-cam for EA50?

I moved from the FX1 to the NX5U too so was also used to Sony's approach. Set up on the EA50 is very much like the NX5U, its almost a large sensor NX5 with some of the AVCHD 2.0 features I like and consumer features I would like on my NX5U like spot focus. The status check only shows audio routing that isn't normally shown all the time and these selectors are behind a door so not likely to get moved once set. So I never use status check at all on my NX5U since I can see whats going on displayed on the LCD including the audio levels. I too have a button set for AE shift at -2 and a button set for spotlight so if I set one of the parameters ( normally gain) into auto I can arrange for the camera response in auto. These indicators of course also show on the LCD when in use.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #17
Trustee

Ron,

Audio only, is just the first page of status check. Did you miss the five pages of information that show up after that when you spin the sel/exc dial? It is easy to miss.

Steve
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Yes I know they are there to confirm settings. But never have used them when operating the camera in a shoot. My thought when I wrote that were for things that are easy to change without noticing they have been moved hence the audio comments.I set things up before each shoot . Buttons stay the same so only thing I really change is gain settings depending on the stage lighting for the show. I can see the use if things are changing a lot from shoot to shoot or if the display is turned off on the LCD. All the things that are important for me are continuously displayed though.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #19
Trustee

I understand Ron. I know all you shoot is theater. For guys like me that are in a different situation every time it is very helpful. For those of you that don't know.....it works in record and playback also. With much more details than just screen display. For example if you are on a long roll, the first time you push it you will get a VU meter that's calibrated so you will actually know were you at. Then if you use the SEL/EXCT button there is 5 more pages like SD card space used and left, battery details, button assignments, etc.

I recorded bars and tone but the menu did not tell me what the tone was at. If I would have guessed (I don't guess) 1K or -12db I would have been wrong. While recording I pushed status so now I know the tone is -20db. Now I know -20db is about 8 bars or dead in the middle of the crummy LCD meter displayed while recording for quick reference. I am very picky about audio levels so punching up the calibrated meter is important to me.

Steve
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I just did a shoot and the VG 29 was the B camera. Perfect match without issue. It's a great combination as both systems use the same sensor.
Robert Moran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)