Still pictures with the EA50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 6th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Still pictures with the EA50

During a break in a shoot today I snapped some stills with the EA50, and my new Samyang (Rokinon/Walimex) 35mm T1.5 cine lens. They turned out really well!
Now my only wish is that it was possible to take stills while recording video. But you can't have it all I guess ;)

Has anyone else used it for still photography? How do you like it?
It seems a bit cumbersome for that, but to capture some stills from the scene you're shooting it's great...
Attached Thumbnails
Still pictures with the EA50-rasdaniel.jpg  
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Still pictures with the EA50

The camera simply generates great stills. I have used vg20 output for high end 4/C printing and the 50 shoots stills even better then the 20. This ability to shoot high quality stills in combination with good video is why I bought the camera. The moon shot in this site was a 1920 X 1080 downsample from a 2X 300mm DZ zoom 16mm still I shot earlier this month, something that still amazes me as to just how sharp an image this system can generate.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...-camera-2.html

I actually like the form factor for both camera, especially with the loupe on the 50 in bright daylight as both systems provide a very stable platform on which to shoot stills.

Last edited by Robert Moran; February 7th, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
Robert Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Nice photo! I don't use the camera for shooting stills, for that I have a 550d that I use for filming as well but l take a photo with it if I"m on a photoshoot at a wedding, those stills I then use for the dvd cover. But it's good to see photo's are very decent on the ea50 and not some kind of gimmick accessoire.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

I actually used to do cover pics with my Panny HMC82 of the couple for DVD cover pics but without perfect lighting the 2 mp image sometimes doesn't quite look so good.

Stills from the EA-50 are 16mp so they should be awesome...(already proven too by Dmitri) I see you can actually use a dedicated flash on the camera in photo mode too ...anyone tried that ..I wonder if you can only use Sony dedicated flash units???

I have a Panny Lumix still camera for DVD covers ..it's only 10.8 mp but still makes a neat cover photo set and is easier to use than try to frame with the camera which is already on the stedicam at this point!!

BTW: My second EA50 will be ordered tomorrow so I have a matched pair ...Both the Panasonics are now sold and one already delivered (I need to hold one for my wedding on Saturday)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #5
Major Player

I had to do an exterior of a client's building. Finding it nearly impossible to do a smooth zoom with the kit lens, I resorted to taking a still of the building and then zooming into it in post. Came out quite nice.
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Trustee

That lighting in that picture looks perfect, and I believe has a lot to do with why it came out so good!

Very nice.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Resolution is so over hyped. 8mb and up will work in most instances in print. Raw is also overhyped as well because the jpeg setting for the camera is set at 10, the maximum quality setting for Photoshop. :)
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Moran View Post
Resolution is so over hyped. 8mb and up will work in most instances in print. Raw is also overhyped as well because the jpeg setting for the camera is set at 10, the maximum quality setting for Photoshop. :)
Actually the maximum setting for JPEGs in PS is 12 ;)
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks all.

I guess I expected the pictures to be good. But what I have failed to understand before was what to really use the photo function for. So I guess it was a bit of a revelation to me when I realised that I could capture stunning stills from the videoshoot, with the exact same settings and lightning as in the video. Obviously it only works in more controlled settings where you don't film all the time. So for live events it's not possible, but you can usually get by with lower resolution frame captures in those instances.

Regarding lighting, it pretty much everything when it comes to video. I have always been good at knowing good lighting when I see it. but I've always sucked when attemting to create light myelf. Now I've acquired some small spots and a simple light control board and am hell bent on getting better at it. The video a shot, from which that still is taken, is my first attempt. I'll post the video when it's done!
Old February 8th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I stand corrected but the difference from 12 to 10 is all but imperceptible and... on the 4/C color work, the images sent via PDF to the printer with connects to InDesign were 10s, which worked without issue, both in color and in B&W.
Old February 9th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #11
Trustee

It is all about the shutter. When in still mode the EA50 is using a true shutter.

Steve
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #12
Major Player

Here's another still, from this weekend's filming of a music video in an ice cold charcoal building from the early 1800s... This time it's a frame from the actual footage.
Attached Thumbnails
Still pictures with the EA50-angelic-foe-2.jpg  
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #13
Tourist

Hello, sorry for may poor english. Do anyone know if we can choose the focus point in the photo mode of the EA50? I have just bought the camcorder, and when I take still pictures only can use the multi spot focus setting. Thank you.
Jose Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #14
Trustee

I believe the factory default is face detection. That may be what your seeing. Spot focus works in either mode. Select Spot focus in the menu. Make sure the focus selection switch is in Manual.

Steve
Old June 11th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Tourist

But the spot focus function is kind of focus translation in the EA50, isnŽit?, nothing to see with the traditional spot focus or puntual focus of photo cameras.
Jose Angel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)