Zoom problem - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 9th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Zoom problem

I've noticed the same issue, just to add to the number of observed instances. This servo zoom is worse than any of the least expensive fixed lens camcorders I've used in recent years. It's a DSLR zoom that has been retrofitted with a servo motor. Having said that, this camera is still a tremendous value for the price. I continue to be amazed at the image quality compared to my Sony HVR Z7U and Panasonic HPX 170 (both of which can do a decent servo zoom if you are careful).
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #32
Inner Circle

I agree Lee

It's a small price to pay for all the other features that are good and as long as you know about it you can work around it...certainly doesn't put me off at all. Just for interest, does using the zoom lever on the lens give the same result or is it caused only when using the zoom rocker? I wonder if you also get the same little shift working in manual. When I do zoom it's only from the centre range back to wide and I must admit I cannot see anything untoward on my footage.

Still love the EA-50!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
I've sold my E PZ Zoom lens ... I never liked motion zoom in the first place. This may apply to ALL the EA50's but as stated, would you ever zoom in and out so quickly?

I think we are expecting TOOOOOO much from this camera. On some websites, it is stated the EA50 is a 'entry level' professional APS-C shoulder mount camera, which automatically tells me Sony are coming out with a more refined model by the end of the year which may eliminate aliasing, moire, and this problem you have shown.
That's a strong possibility, I seem to remember that on the video preview on DSLR News Shooter | Making the real world look as good as cinema the Sony rep saying its part of the new EA series of Sony cameras. If I didn't hear it there I can't remember where. But it implies there will be another one
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #34
Regular Crew

The image wobble at the start of a zoom or when the zoom changes direction really hit me between the eyes during my very first test shoot. It's like the lens elements shift relative to the sensor as the motor or gearing takes up some slack in the lens mechanism.

The workaround is to slightly 'pre-zoom' before hitting record but this is a pain. Live event camera operators will really struggle using the EA50.

Small maximum aperture, very slow zoom speed and this jerky zoom phenomenon mean the otherwise exciting EA50 is let down by a very disappointing lens. At least I can take it off when I've found a better alternative.
Martyn Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
very slow zoom speed
Just the fact that it can zoom motorised is unique for this type of lens as nothing else exists at that price range with that functionality, so that I wouldn't call it "dissapointing" but the wobble at the beginning of a zoom can indeed be annoying and for some type of registration make it usesless.
I won't be selling this lens, it's a good "allrounder" with a large focal range, I only wish it was a fixed f2.8 lens, that would have been sweet :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Moore View Post
The workaround is to slightly 'pre-zoom' before hitting record but this is a pain. Live event camera operators will really struggle using the EA50.
To be honest I don't see the zoom problem with my ea50's. I do live events and never have I seen the zoom problems... Evenn using a ea50 on a crane with remote for "flybys" . Maybe its because I do multicam edit In post? I usually cut to crane shot after zoom has started. ...I would not go as far as saying live event operators will struggle... More like, we might have to adapt. ...
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Hey Joel

Me too ... I have yet to see the issue but apparently it does exist! never had a problem at all so I guess it's simply the way we shoot ...I think Noa said that it's most noticeable when you zoom back from full zoom and I would seldom, if ever, be at full zoom on either camera.

The play in the mechanical section of the lens seems to be most noticeable when it's fully extended ..ie: zoomed out at 200mm which would make sense ....if you don't usually operate in that area you probably will never see the problem

Chris
Old April 6th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #38
Regular Crew

All very fair comments. Thanks for sharing.

I am disappointed with the lens. Maybe I'm expecting too much. Part of my style for shooting sensitive interviews is to start wide and then zoom in very slowly as the speaker gets into is/her stride. I can't do that with this lens.

The kind of live event camera operators I work with don't have the luxury of doing anything in post. What they shoot goes direct to the big screen or is broadcast live.

Having bought the camera for its interchangeable power zoom, I expected to be able to zoom out and in at any point in the zoom's range without seeing a shudder in the image.

I accept that I am quite fussy though, and being an inexperienced film-maker I need help from my kit to improve my work, not problems I need to work around.

I'll stop whining now. I love so many things about this camera, I'll concentrate on those in future.
Martyn Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #39
Inner Circle

I think more ea50 buyers thought the lens was comparable in operation with a fix lens camera, like a pana ag-ac160, but it isn't. Eventhough that powerzoom is unique for a exchangeable lens (considering better options cost a lot more) the lens has several flaws, one of them also being that inaccurate electronical focusing, it's like feeling in the dark for a light switch.
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #40
Major Player

It's a still camera lens with a servo zoom motor. I'm constantly tripped up when switching from other camcorders that I own to the EA50. The zoom and focus rings are reversed. On fixed camcorder and exchangeable lens camcorders focus is always the front ring.
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
...one of them also being that inaccurate electronical focusing, it's like feeling in the dark for a light switch.
Noa,
Can you elaborate on the "inaccurate electronic focusing"? I haven't had any issues with auto focus... maybe I am missing understanding....
JC
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Me neither!!

I have peaking on and the camera focuses perfectly every time .....maybe you are talking about the lens not being parafocal??? At that price no lens would be parafocal unless it has a backfocus ajustment like the JVC HM700 cameras ....If you zoom in tight and then zoom right out to wide it ain't gonna stay in focus until the AF catches up!!

Chris
Old April 8th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Corral View Post
Noa,
Can you elaborate on the "inaccurate electronic focusing"?
If I want to pertform a pull focus with the stock lens it can happen that a slight turn of the ring moves the focus point quite a bit and if I want to fine tune I need to turn the ring much more just to cover a small focus distance, with my primes I can do very accurate focus pulls and the distance I need to turn the ring to move a focus point is always the same. This makes pulling focus on the stocklens unreliable.
Old April 8th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Aha!! So that's actually doing a manual focus pull on the stock lens so it's not electronic which is where the confusion lies..!! Servo zooms seem to have very sloppy focus rings and I'm not really sure if you are also dragging some of the servo linkages when you turn it even if you switch to manual.

I find it so much easier to focus pull on the spot focus function on the LCD ...touch the screen on item 1 then touch the screen on iten two and the camera does it for you!!

Chris
Old April 8th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #45
New Boot

I've noticed the jerk when changing zoom direction as well. I've tried putting my finger on it to provide some drag... wishful thinking... In the end, I will live with it, as I still think this camera and lens is a great deal... I'm coming from a camera with very little OSS, so I'm just thrilled I can get away with what I can without the tripod... and zoom. It's still a bit like magic to me.

darryl
Darryl N. Barg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)