Thoughts with Digital Zoom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 15th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Thoughts with Digital Zoom

Has anyone experimented with the Digital Zoom feature? i was under the impression the was extremely clean and lossless... i just tested out the feature out a received horrible results. Is there a setting in the sub menu other than to enable this feature that i am missing?

Major aliasing when same shot no digital zoom there was none.

JC

Last edited by Joel Corral; February 15th, 2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: left out result
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Thoughts with Digital Zoom

I thought the quality wasn't that bad.

All depends on the lens your using.

If you got the stock lens, it won't be that great.

On the other hand, you have a nice tasty Carl Zeiss Prime lens like im using, then it looks lossless!! all about the optics to be honest!
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use it all the time. This thread is spot on in terms of how to use it. Focus and peaking and expanded focus are key in getting it to work right. Good primes like Zeiss and Nikkors and DZ rock. It's also a great option for zooms as well (doubles FL) as long as it's properly used. HTHl
Robert Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

With the stock lens at least yes, it can look horrible, I made below test video which shows how bad it can get. With a prime lens you might get away with it, have not tested it, it also depends if you have any moire or aliasing in the shot.

Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)