New Samyang NEX Lenses - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 18th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: New Samyang NEX Lenses

A firmware update? That would be nice but I seriously doubt any type of update for a $3.5K camera from sony.... You should be purchasing this camera for more than just the supposed "zoom through primes" digital zoom feature.

JC
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
I wish they skipped the autofocus and added antishake to their cine lenses instead!
Yeah, that would be much more usable, I guess adding a autofocus feature is something electronically while adding antishake mechanically and could be they don't have the knowledge or possibilities to do that, I also guess that such a change would mean a serious increase in price. The reason why Samyang is so popular is because of their price which is due to the simple design.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Corral View Post
Just as Noa's test; digital zoom = unacceptable use.
It does depend on what you shoot though, if you shoot more close up with shallow dof and then use the DZ you do see a decrease in image quality but it doesn't notice that much, especially when you look at it from a distance on tv, you just need to be careful when to use it and double check in the viewfinder to see if there are no artifacts. When I check with all my lenses I hope to see more how far I can push it before it becomes unacceptable.
Old March 19th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
do you think if the digital zoom is that bad that perhaps its best to wait for an upgrade?
I think the only way we might see an improvement is when Sony would use another sensor, it is what it is right now, depending on the situation it can be usable with maybe some post treatment. As far as I know Sony has the only camera that has the possibility to manually zoom with a prime during a recording which already is very unique, but not perfect.
Old March 19th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #20
Major Player

Agreed, Noa, the beauty of the Samyang lenses are their simplicity. They have quality where it counts and nothing else. That's what makes them so affordable.
If they added antishake and autofocus the price would get them close to other lenses and much more competition...

The digital zoom is made possible because the EA50 uses a sensor that really has too high resolution for video. I guess an improved algorithm could enhance the quality of the digital zoom, but I feel the DZ is more of a novelty anyway.

An EA50 with a true Super 35 sensor would have been great.
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)