EA50 vs VG900 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 18th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EA50 vs VG900

ok, so i know this is a loaded topic. i realize that a piece ran claiming that among the cinema cameras available at the time of their test, VG900 did the worst.

but the EA50 wasn't in this test. and i'm seeing some vids now that seem to look better than the EA50. so the vg900 should technically not be able to get as good of an image right?

but check out a few of these vids:

and its not just depth of field that i'm talking about. i think both of these videos are made in APS-C mode so the depth of field should match to a EA50 if it had the same lens. i realize that many have posted vids of the EA50 with a speed booster and fast prime lenses like samyangs and such. color seems nicer in these vids and everything. and just i generally am confused how few videos have been made other than maybe the ones on this forum that seem to look this good.

so is the VG900 really worse than the EA50? and if so is there anything anyone can provide that really clarifies that? thanks in advance

and is the EA50 really that unpopular that vimeo has less than 50 videos made with this camera? (sorry thats another topic, lol)
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: EA50 vs VG900

just found some reviews that say this thing is FAR worse than the EA50, in ergonomics and everything.

so should it just be assumed that the user of the camera in the above examples just is relying on great lenses and maybe a ninja to get the above shots or what?
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

It's also about the operator!! Do a shoot with the EA-50 with crappy backlighting or see in the dark situations, don't bother with framing or composition and anyone can make a bad video!

The EA-50 for me is a tool but I want my camera to have a form factor I'm comfortable with...I used to get amazing footage from a hacked Lumix GH1 but is was a pain to use and I just wasn't happy with it.

For me the EA-50 has the perfect form factor and weight and all the fuctions I always needed so I bought two....how I use the cameras (well or poorly) is no fault of the camera. It's also like a car ...we all drive what we like not anything else.

I dislike the VG900 form factor ..it's to awkward to hold I would think BUT if you shoot only on tripod it would probably be an awesome camera....I shoot handheld 90% of the time so the 50's are perfect for me!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #4
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

I got the little VG30 with the 18-200mm power lens and now the NEX 10-18mm.
The glass on the 10-18m lens is worth the $1000, its wider and better than my Tokina 11-16m in may ways.

Both NEX lenses have auto focus on the fly when shooting video and OSS.
All I can say is I feel sorry for all those that are using a DSLR now to shoot video :-)

The Black Magic camera may put out better quality but it would be useless for my work in the real world.
I'm going to make some good coin with this little Sony camera.
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey thanks for the thoughts.
Have a link to any vids with you might have made with those lenses?
Old March 19th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes, I find all these "tests" where people are jerkingly pointing the camera in random directions, shaking and having everything in full auto more than useless in judging the quality of a camera.
Try to find some finished footage that is similar to the work you will do, then you can tell.

I also find that the "real video camera" form factor of the EA50 is invaluable. I can't imaging having no dedicated buttons for common tasks and having to constantly go to menus...
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

yea some things irritate me. like why are all the reviews 10 minutes? i sometimes get the impression that maybe sony paid for a favorable review. i realize it takes time and money, but i'm not satisfied with reviews of this camera. the digital zoom is mentioned but never shown for more than a second, it took noa's video to show how bad it is. why the heck is that not in any reviews?! can someone review this camera again and NOT just rehash the list of features which i can read for myself on B&H? maybe spend more than 5 minutes on image quality? and stop talking about how good the image is, show us for goodness sakes and please more than one shot!!!
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Most reviews come from people that get a preproduction model or they get the model as a loan and they get to play with a for a day or a bit more, that is too limited to get to know the real ins and outs. That is always reserved for the real users that actually buy the camera, that's why I started that blog about the camera, to gather as much as real world information I can find so new and existing users might learn from it. I will try to add some info this week about questions you often see returning, even-though I"m not a scientist I"ll try my best to provide some useful info.

One good example about how valuable input from the real buyers can be I experienced just recently, Philip did a review where he said rolling shutter was not an issue with this camera and that a "dslr" would display much worse rolling shutter.
I then did a test comparing with my 550d with the same camera settings (I tested in 25p) and my test showed the ea50 actually did worse then my dslr. Jerome, another ea50 user took it a step further and compared 25p to 50p (or in his case 30p to 60p) to discover the rolling shutter is less in 60p and that resulted in this article: Rolling shutter | Sony nex ea50 user blog

This is what I want to achieve, real use input from users that finally can give an answer to some questions, like in above case to use 50 or 60p if you want to have less rolling shutter issues. The thing is that if I find something and publish it and if another user finds something that either complements or contradicts this I will change or add that info so it becomes more accurate. Known reviewers publish their short findings once but they rarely come back to what hey have claimed.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Major Player

I guess you also have to stop and think: "does this matter to me?".

I've never done and will probably never do fast pans like that. And if so, it'll happen once, probably with music and/or other noises also happening at the same time, only experienced filmmakers would probably even notice in that case. So for me, rolling shutter is a none issue.

Moire could potentially be an issue, someone might wear a striped suit or checkered shirt.

Sometimes I think too many reviews focus technical stuff that very rarely matter in the real world and get blown out of proportion in forums.

It's good to now about issues, sure. But it's also good to take a step back and see if they really matter to you.

That's why I find all these test rather useless. Seeing finished work is really much more useful, I think.
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
That's why I find all these test rather useless. Seeing finished work is really much more useful, I think.
Agree, but whatever I post I leave it up to the viewer whether it would be a problem for them or not, but I find it important that this info is out there so people won't have to guess. I often hated it when I encountered some issues with a device, that affected my kind of work and that I didn't knew before, because if I did I probably would not have bought it. Now what would be a issue for me might not be a issue for another user.

Just check this what I just posted that was reported by Jerome: Cokin “Pure Harmonie Variable ND Filter” test | Sony nex ea50 user blog
It's a problem with a filter that gives serious focus issues when you zoom in fully with the stocklens, you could also say that for users that don't zoom in this is not an problem and their finished work would also suggest this is a good filter, would you not agree that it is useful then to report this but let it up to each individual user to decide if that would be an issue for them or not? At least then it is known what problems that type of filter can cause under which circumstances and that can only contribute in making better videos. That is actually the main goal of that blog.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Major Player

I guess I'm just bitter because before I got my EA50 (damn early though) all I could find (except for the Pepephone vid and Alister's) was shaky footage from peoples back yards. And people are still doing it! It seems everyone who buys a camera (not just the EA50) feel the urge to post their own shaky video of their back yard, even if there's hundreds of those from the same camera online already ;)
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Regular Crew

EXACTLY!!! lol. no seriously, its either every technical thing except out in the field using the camera, or its out using the camera in an environment that i would never use it. and then i'm still left wondering "why didn't he take the camera outside or something?!"
this is EXACTLY how i feel, and its why i'm on here on this forum constantly asking questions cause i wanna know what i'm getting into, and since the reviews are giving me enough info i'm resorting to asking users of the camera directly.
PS,
i may finally make my decision next month. its either the EA50 or the FS100. its down to these two. and i'm beginning to wonder if the ergonomics matter at all to me, lol. i can always get the 1 and then get the other later.... we'll see.
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #13
Major Player

The reason I didn't get the FS100:
I couldn't afford it.

Back then it was £1000 more expensive than the EA50 without a lens. Now it seems they have come down in price quite a lot, no?
Only reason to not get it today would be that it's been out a while and a successor is bound to arrive anytime.
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Dmitri

They buy the camera, charge the battery and then walk out the back door and film the yard, the cat (always cats) and a bit of grass and trees and the backyard fence and voila ..we have a review!! Totally useless as the guy normally hasn't even read the manual yet!!!

Chris? I looked at the FS100 but remember it has no form factor like the EA-50 ...if you are shooting always on tripod then it might be worth considering but if you are planning a lot of on shoulder shoots then the EA-50 is a better option.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
Yes, I find all these "tests" where people are jerkingly pointing the camera in random directions, shaking and having everything in full auto more than useless in judging the quality of a camera.
Try to find some finished footage that is similar to the work you will do, then you can tell.

I also find that the "real video camera" form factor of the EA50 is invaluable. I can't imaging having no dedicated buttons for common tasks and having to constantly go to menus...
Nicely said!
JC
Joel Corral is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)