Manual Lens in Auto at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 29th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Manual Lens in Auto

Hi Guys

Referring back to the fact that I was thinking about using my Tokina super wide 11-16 Nikon mount lens on the EA-50 and stedicam for some nice wide angle shots, You can physically switch the camera to manual to turn off auto and then switch aperture to manual and then turn iso/gain and shutter to auto...This way the manual lens exposure is controlled by the camera with a fixed aperture but variable auto shutter and iso/gain so exposure is accurate. I not doing fast moving objects so the high shutter outdoors is not really an issue.

My only question is that the 11-16 Tokina doesn't have an aperture ring!! Only a focus ring and zoom ring so when connected to a non-electrical adapter for the EA-50 will the iris be fully open or fully closed??

I can live with fully open as I still have plenty of DOF but if it sticks at F22 I'm sunk unless the more fancy adapters allow manual iris somehow???

Any ideas??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Manual Lens in Auto

Why don't you get that new rokinon 10mm f2.8 lens? That one has a iris ring.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

I already have the Tokina 11-16 so I didn't really want to buy a new lens... when you put a Nikon lens on a "dumb" adapter does the iris remain fully open or fully closed??? Any idea as I don't have an adapter as yet

Chris
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I"m sure Steve must know, he also gave me a answer when I used a Tamron macrolens which had no iris ring, can't find that thread anymore though.
Old March 30th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #5
Major Player

Chris,
I have the Tokina in Nikon mount - When the lens is off the camera, or on a dumb adaptor, the iris stays fully closed - seems to be spring loaded, and it works with the iris ring adaptors by engaging with the lever on the mount - I don't have my Nikon camera here to test, but I guess that the lens will not keep its iris setting when removed.

Last edited by Paul Wood; March 30th, 2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: checked lens
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Paul

Much appreciated...that saves me having to buy an adapter simply to find out that the iris will stay at F22 which isn't going to help me at all. OK, that scraps that idea ...the 11-16 was purchased for my Realty Photography on the Nikon D90 body and not for the EA-50 body at all but I figured it was worth asking if there was a workaround before rushing off and buying a cheap adapter ....I figure the Metabones adapter would work but after Steve's hassles with it and the inflated price (cost more than the lens!!) I wouldn't buy one.

Chris
Old March 30th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Rokinon sells a 8mm f2.8 dirt cheap, it's next on my "want to get" list, with that lens you don't have to pan anymore :)
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

The 8mm F2.8 here isn't exactly "cheap" ...I can get them via Hong Kong for $285.00 which is still quite pricey for a "fun" lens. How much curvature does the 8mm give you ?? I expected it would be quite severe so one would need to stay away from verticals that need to be relatively vertical?? Paul Wags has the Sony 10-20 and at 10mm you can see the curvature already so I'm sure it's going to me quite pronounced at 8mm??

Chris
Old March 31st, 2013, 03:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
I can get them via Hong Kong for $285.00 which is still quite pricey
You think that's expensive for a f2.8 8mm lens? A Sigma f3.5 8mm is 3 times the price. That Rokinon is the cheapest you can get.
If you want a very wide angle and fast lens that doesn't curve that much it will cost you a lot more then that Rokinon lens. I have a Canon 10-2 lens and 10mm already makes everything crooked at the edges, especially when you pan you will notice it even more.
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:53 AM   #10
New Boot

Hi - as we're talking super-wides here - we have the Tokina 11-16 in Sony mount wihich on the LAEA1/2 adapters performs flawlessy. Also I felt I must draw your attention to the Sigma 12-24 EX DG (non HSM version) which we use all the time for virtually distortion free shooting. It's just breathtaking on corporate HQs (interiors and exteriors) which we do a lot of for corporate intros/title sequences where straight lines must stay straight lines. Very nice either on Steadicam or a big rising jib. There's none of that wide angle 'rushing' of the image as you pan etc.
Neil Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Trustee

Chris,

This is how most lens apertures worked, at least in the old days.. When the lens is off the camera the aperture blades are closed all the way by a spring. When you twist lock the lens onto the body they open up all the way. I'm not sure about Nikon and a lot of the newer stuff. Look for a lever on the back side of the lens you can move with your finger.

You guys are discussing ultra wide angle. Lenses that wide and adapters usually don't like each other. I'm glad it works for you Neil. Is that lens available in Sony E-Mount? My quick search only found a Canon?

Steve
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:52 AM   #12
New Boot

Hi - the 12-24 Sigma is in A-mount and we use it via the Sony adapters. We picked up a couple of copies (non-HSM) on ebay for less than £300 each. They do turn up fairly regularly. I mention the non-HSM version because I seem to remember on photozone.de that a while back there was mention of the newer HSM version showing more distortion but sharper. But as we're in the land of 1920x1080 rather than 24MP any sharpness difference I considered not relevant for what we needed - i.e. straight lines in wide. Ah the joy of HD versus 36MP stills! You can get away with quite a lot (e.g. CA, softer edges, etc) which just doesn't show on HD.
Neil Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 06:48 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve

I didn't think of that!! Maybe there is a way to get the adapter to push the lever (which would open the lens fully) That would work fine for me as even at F2.8 and around 10' away the lens would be in focus from about 5' to infinity so I could use it as a fixed focus lens on the stedicam as long as I don't get too close. This is mainly also for interiors as, as Neil says, the distortion is very minimal.

I'll take a look later .. the Nikon mount may be slightly different but if I can rig it full open using a cheap chinese adapter, it's worth a shot!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)