Gain controls and LCD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 10th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Gain controls and LCD

Please Sony read this, those gain controls are useless and there can be no argument. The vg30 can scroll through the values so why can't its big brother? Now I have that out of my bonnet, have been running some picture profile tests connected to a tv and discovered that the picture on the camera LCD is not actually as dark as you think even with the high brightness on. I found that where you thought you might need 6db of gain, according to what I see on the tv, none is necessary. Anyone else found this to be true?

Last edited by James Hollingsworth; April 10th, 2013 at 02:26 AM.
James Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Gain controls and LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hollingsworth View Post
Please Sony read this, those gain controls are useless and there can be no argument. The vg30 can scroll through the values so why can't its big brother? Now I have that out of my bonnet, have been running some picture profile tests connected to a tv and discovered that the picture on the camera LCD is not actually as dark as you think even with the high brightness on. I found that where you thought you might need 6db of gain, according to what I see on the tv, done is necessary. Anyone else found this to be true?
Haven't checked.

But I completely agree with the GAIN control ... so useless. I hate knowing that I can't quickly scroll to any value I want! but have to 'CLICK' to a certain pre-set value.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Trustee

Have you checked the LCD and the TV with BARS?

Steve
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Who basis exposure off the LCD screen alone?
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I started a thread with a firmware upgrade list here and my nr one "want to have" was a way to scroll through the iso values like you can with the shutter speed, this can be quite frustrating at times.

About usuing the lcd to judge expore, I always use zebra's and histogram to set my exposure.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I too always use zebras but they don't help me in a lowlight situation and on a camera without a viewfinder it would be nice to have an accurate LCD.
James Hollingsworth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)