EA-50 match to my GoPro Hero at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 15th, 2013, 05:52 AM   #1
Inner Circle

EA-50 match to my GoPro Hero

Hi Guys

We did a wedding at Perth Zoo last Friday (in the rain too!!) and I used the two EA-50's and also used my Hero2 stuck high up on a lighting stand as a 3rd camera. I left the Hero footage alone but shot the Sony's on PP3 with no mods and then lifted saturation in post just a tad and they match quite well!!

Kristy and Jarrod - 12th April 2013 - YouTube

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: EA-50 match to my GoPro Hero

Footage looks great, the go pro seems more contrasty but overall it seems like a good match, too bad the sample was only 360p.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Trustee

Good stuff Chris!

Where did that audio come from? It is awful good for not having a mic on everyone.

I do have a couple of complaints. I think you missed a couple of opportunities. I would have velcroed the gopro to one of the elephants for a live boom shot. It also would have been a great POV shot. And the blond reader in the short skirt.....I completely forgot about the bride and groom. Did you get her number for future on camera talent???? And where was Tarzan? I kept waiting for him to swing in on a vine and sweep the blond away? Oh well....just my demented mind at work....good job!

And girls walking around barefoot at a zoo....that elevates toe jam to a whole new level!!! Yuk....

Steve
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve

The audio is purely from one single mic on the groom for 99% of the ceremony bit but the "reader" I just used the on-cam mic of the 50 and also that was used during register signing. Yeah the reader was quite a cutie ..That's one of the perks of weddings ..young hotties in short skirt but at my age I can't do much about them. The elephants were actually quite noisy crunching up tree branches, the zoo staff mentioned that the previous week both animals decided to be a lot more vocal during a wedding plus they got a bit more active with some tree branches and actually disrupted the ceremony!

Sadly my weddings are not as creative as Noa's but the brides love them anyway!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #5
Trustee

Nothing sad about it. We all have our own style. Your brides love it and your earning a living. That's all good.

My personality is not a good fit for weddings, I'm to impatient. I am better off in the corporate world where I work. I love the variety when it is there. Nothing is more boring than an all day conference when the topic may be as exciting as surgeons talking about transplanting livers. At this point I am usually lucky enough not to be standing on a camera riser, I have operators for that and I am at the tech table calling shots and switching. That is fun. I shoot just about everything else myself, or direct if the budget allows.

For interviews and other gigs I have to "light" I have begun trying LED lights. But I am not in a hurry to change because my Lowel light kits with all of the accessory's I have are so damn useful. They have worked for years and they still work. I shot a Dentist performing oral surgery a couple weeks ago and the Lowel lights were invaluable. I started a long post about that shoot for the one man gig section but I did not finish it, probably never will. I can't even get friends or family to look at the footage for a minute because it grosses them out.

I went into that shoot planning on using a Canon 24-70MM F2.8 Macro lens. I had tested that lens and the kit lens before I left town and knew they would both work but the Canon seemed more like the appropriate one to use. Once there I opted for the kit lens. It blew me away how well it worked. I did not have to pick out individual teeth, just shoot them from the circumference of an open mouth. I lit it until the Lowels gave me F18 or F20 for DOF so it worked out well. Manual focus of course but the kit lens gave me zoom from the end of my jib/crane when I needed it. And the EA50 was nice and light on the crane.

Sorry for the hijack, I went off on me, me, me.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)