Sharpening - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 26th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Sharpening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Wittbusch View Post
The kit lens isn't bad at all. Together with the 2x digital zoom, it's a run'n gun option that doesn't exist in the S35 world and yet under 20.000 bucks!
You mention all valid points which I share as well, I only don't like the digital zoom as the image quality takes a hit when applying it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 02:34 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I would always avoid the digital zoom if possible.

But there might be situations where picture quality is not the most important thing for your picture. As I do a lot of documentary work there will be a lot of these situations.

Nevertheless I will buy some "faster" zoomlens as my standard runaround glass. I think of the Canon EF-S 17-55/2,8, which I already used on the EOS60D and liked it.
But there is also the 24-105/4,0L which would be great with the speed booster - but this is not exactly a cheap combination (650€ for the Speedbooster, 850€ for the lens). Really cheap is the Sigma 17-70/2,8-4 OS HSM.

I think all the lenses aren't really parfocal. So zooming while recording isn't an option. As I don't like zoomed shots but need it for documentary work to be more flexible it's not a problem for me.

Again: If you want the best sharpness out there, don't use the EA50 - buy a used FS100 or some other camera with dedicated video sensor.
To raise sharpness, try to sharpen carefully in post. There is more room then you might think. I'm experimenting with some footage in FinalCut these days.
Erik Wittbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #18
Inner Circle

OK so if the The kit lens is not parfocal, and It won't hold focus when zoomed, then why did Sony include 2 servo zoom rockers with Slow/Medium/High speed settings? - seems strange
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #19
Major Player

...because it uses the AF servos to emulate parfocal performance. Kinda.
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #20
Regular Crew

The zoom rockers are some kind of remote for any zoom lenses, that might fit the sony protocol and the NEX-mount. Nowadays, it's only the SEL18-200PZ, but there might be more in future.
It's fine for me to have a servo on the EA50!
Erik Wittbusch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)