Manual Lenses and Exposure - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 28th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Manual Lenses and Exposure

Hi Chris

Justin, in your neck of the woods already has one so maybe also some comments from him?? He was actually the one that had good success with the Novoflex (amongst many others) and Justin also is using Nikon glass on the adapter so it sorta fits my profile use nicely.

Once the adapter arrives I will certainly give feedback from my side!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi guys, i just threw a few different lenses on to do some testing.

Re zebras i used the 85 1.4 wide open with the crop factor it was more like a 120mm 1.4 the dof up close was just a few mm,s and the zebras tracked it perfectly.

Re zoom lenses. I tried the 24-70 at 2.8 up close to have the smallest dof possible. At 70mm focused then zoomed out to 24mm it did slightly lose focus. At 24mm focused going to 70 the focus went further out.. I was shooting from around 50cm away and this extends from thr barrel as you focus. I put on the older 28-70 as this is internally focusing so the lens does not extend inor out from the front as you focus but woud still lose focus if you zoomed in or out.

In practise you would have to set your focal lenght first then focus and not zoom while shooting. Treat the lens as a prime lens. Re compose at new focal lenth and re focus. As chris said with a wide angle like the 14-24 I put on, even at 2.8 you have a larger dof so would be easy to use and I cant see the reason to change focal length while shooting with this lens. I didnt test if it lost focus going from 14 to 24mm. My guess would be it would but be less noticable with the greater dof.

I hope this answers any questions you had. I dont think this losing focus when you zoom is an issue if you know about it. Just treat every lens as a prime. I didnt test the kit lens to see if it does the same as we dont zoom while shooting at all.

Christopher im onthe central coast. If you ever wanted to check out the novoflex before buying one you would be welcome to.
Justin Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Thanks Justin

The FOTGA adapter just will not fit onto the camera ..it's way too tight so I'll have to go another route, probably I should stop messing around and buy what you have??

Thanks again for the input

Chris
I have the Fotga an you need to lubricate it and work it on the NEX body a bit before it clicks in then it sits as tight as a drum.
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks Craig

I won't bin it yet then but I have already ordered a Novoflex and according to Justin it workss like an original part ..I'd hate to damage a $4K camera using a $15.00 adapter!!!

I'll see how the Novoflex works first ... surely one shouldn't need lube to put the adapter on?? Mine goes on the camera body OK and turns about 1/4 turn very easily and then just locks up there ...I even tried some gentle resurfacing of the adapter face with the same result. I will be patient and wait for the Novoflex ..so far it's been 11 days in the mail so hopefully next week it should get here?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #20
Regular Crew

The lube was required just to bed it in. It is a tight fit now and I like that. FYI, I have ordered the Metabones Speedbooster now that they have finally released the CY>NEX version as I use a selection of Zeiss primes with my matte box & rig. (plus the wonderful little $300 SEL16-50 motor zoom!)
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Hey Craig

The SEL16-50 is a neat little lens but sadly way to slow for dim Churches and dark receptions ...at full wide it's F3.5 and closes down to F5.6 at 50mm while the stock lens at 50mm is a stop faster at least. I'm looking at something like the Tamron 17-50 which is F2.8 all the way which will be a LOT better for weddings. I tried a lick on silicon grease on the adapter and it still goes 1/4 turn and locks up and I really don't want to break anything yet ...yours was obviously cast to slightly better tolerances than mine!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)