AE50 - Do you convert to intermediate? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 27th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: AE50 - Do you convert to intermediate?

i think i will release simpler versions first to test it, then later implement encoding functions.

will be easy to debug if i start simple.

will start with multi-card/copy/merge/rename/backup functions, then later add the extras ;)

OBS: the playlist format (required for parsing) looks like the same for all NEX cameras, but i can only test with nex-f3 and nex-ae50 (when arrive, still waiting ;P ). probably will not work with "non-nex" files.
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #17
Trustee

Marlon ~

Regardless of what anyeones says keep going. This sounds like a great time saver. Like someone else said there are people out there who need this sort of functionality and would be willing to pay for it.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney.
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #18
Regular Crew

first functional version is ready. still didn't implemented backup and multicard-reader functions yet, but the conversion process is working fine.

for now, you can run it and select if want to copy files to hard drive only (merging spanned files and renaming to the video date), or copy and convert to Canopus HQ in HD or SD or both at the same time.

also added right-click option in folders so you can just convert already copied files in the hard drive to intermediate/sd

i got a few ideas, but need more info. how you guys do backups of the video? cause i use one external HD and internals ones. (copy all videos to external and internal to have it in 2 places).

who use external backup, do you have more than one or a single one? how is your folder structure? just a folder on the root of the drive?

im recording in Full-HD 60p, to deliver in DVD (30i) and Blu-ray (30i also). how you guys deliver the video? that is the final format/video specs?
Attached Images

Last edited by Marlon Martins; May 18th, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I create a project directory and sub directories for each camera, use Sony software to transfer from cameras to appropriate directory then backup the whole to LTO3 data tape . When I finish my editing I delete from the hard drive. Do the same for the other edited files including DVD files and Bluray. Like Noa I use Edius for my multicam editing native AVCHD and Vegas and Sound Forge for audio.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Marlon!

Is it possible to copy files to hard drive only (merging spanned files and renaming to the video date) and right after that convert all to HQ HD and/or SD? (without the extra rightclick to select the option when it's on the drive.
I think for rough edits on multicams (I use up to 4 camera's now) it might be good to have it batch copy and after that convert to a intermediate of choice and let that run over night. Then edit in a hq sd file for the first rough cut and connect native files again once you start colorcorrecting. Editing 4 HQ SD streams should be space saving and edit like a knive through butter.

Currenty I back up the contents of the sd card with sony's software to a "import" drive and then back that up to a internal "edit" drive, I make another backup from that edit drive including all projectfolders to a external drive at the end of the day as well.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Ron Evans, LTO3 data tape works as a "hard drive-like" or its something that need proprietary software or something to transfer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Is it possible to copy files to hard drive only (merging spanned files and renaming to the video date) and right after that convert all to HQ HD and/or SD? (without the extra rightclick to select the option when it's on the drive.
yes, you can copy only or copy and convert, no interation needed

Quote:
I think for rough edits on multicams (I use up to 4 camera's now) it might be good to have it batch copy and after that convert to a intermediate of choice and let that run over night. Then edit in a hq sd file for the first rough cut and connect native files again once you start colorcorrecting. Editing 4 HQ SD streams should be space saving and edit like a knive through butter.
SD files are a bit smaller than original files (original 25-28mbps, converted about 22mbps) and yes, editing is very good ;P

i previously did a few proxy scripts for vegas, and they work perfectly. a few friends i have in the Brazilian forum edit h.264 videos from DSLR, and the video have a very high bitrate (about 44mps) making decoding even more slow than AVCHD at 25~28mbps.

the great thing is i did a script (for sony vegas) to change between files in the timeline: one click you can change the smaller ones for the original, one click again can change to proxy/sd/whatever wanted, in the middle of a project, without screwing up anything. maybe i can make it more friendly as a proxy creator also.

Quote:
Currenty I back up the contents of the sd card with sony's software to a "import" drive and then back that up to a internal "edit" drive, I make another backup from that edit drive including all project folders to a external drive at the end of the day as well.
i was thinking about something like this: a marker file to make the program identify the backup drive and copy everything there for backup. it can be internal or external drive, so, even changing the drive letter/usb port/multiple external backup drives it can identify the connected one and backup there, so no need to specify it each time.
Old May 19th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Backup tape drives need special software as they do not appear in Windows. I use Retrospect 8.1 as the backup software. Unlike Noa I am happy to edit native files so really have no need for an intermediate at all. I am interested in saving time transferring from 4 cameras I normally use for the events I shoot, even two at a time would be great. It really doesn't take me that long now though. I shoot theatre so projects are about 2 hours in length. It now takes about 12 mins a camera using the Sony software so less than an hour to transfer from the 4 cameras.

Ron Evans
Old May 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #23
Regular Crew

nice, i will implement multi-card readers and backup option as soon as i can ;)
Old May 19th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Ron, it's not that I don't like editing native files but if I"m adding 4 streams of native footage in a multicam sequence editing in a intermediate format makes it a much smoother experience, no matter how powerfull your system is. The biggest gain you will see is when fast scrolling your timeline. Once I have done a rough cut I delete the intermediate files and relink to the native ones for color correction and exporting. Also exporting hq files to a hq master is much faster then native files, on my older system I can export a one hour timeline under 10 minutes. Only if I would edit with hq sd files I would need to relink to the native files to be able to get HD files if needed or to go to blu-ray. I would only be interested in editing this hq sd because of the space you save and the visual quality is more then enough to do rough cutting and multicam editing is butter smooth in that way.
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #25
Inner Circle

I don't scroll much as I effectively play the theatre show and switch cameras. Filters off while in multicam runs smooth enough on my i7 2600K system for 4 tracks of AVCHD and 1 track of EX3 all native. At most I run a slightly fast pace scrolling with my Shuttle Pro V2. I do all the colour balancing etc before I start and rarely need to do much afterwards to match some edits that do not quite work. I too export a HQ file to go to TMPGenc for DVD encoding. I tend to work in 5 min segments, switch out of multicam and watch what I have edited and fine tune the filter changes then if needed. Encode for Bluray with Quicksync straight from timeline. Do most all my authoring in DVD Architect 5.2

Ron Evans
Old May 19th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I fast scroll all the time which saves me quite some time going quickly through the edit and choosing camera angles as I move on, once the rough edit is done I let it play from the start and finetune.

Looking forward to try the conversion tool Marlon. :)
Old May 19th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I need to listen to the dialogue in a play or the beat for a dance show so really do not scroll fast unless it is a monologue or solo dance. I have settled on this short 5 mins or so segmented way of doing things that is effective for me. It is a serious retirement hobby for me so that does make a difference !!! I can finish a 2 hour show edit in a day. I may make a few changes after I watch the DVD so usually cycle the finished DVD twice before I am happy. Then just make the Bluray as the authoring is the same in DVDArchitect just substitute the Bluray file and change properties.

Ron
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #28
Regular Crew

backup its now working.

just need to create a text file named "BACKUPHD.TXT" in the root of the drive, so the program will identify it as backup drive. if wanted, just put the folder name inside the text file (like "NEX BACKUP"), so the backup will be created in that drive, in the NEX BACKUP directory instead of the root folder (like if you use that drive for something more than video backup, so its more organized).

now the program ask for the filename of the destination directory in the selected folder. this remove the needed to manually create the folder on both drives before copying the files, making handy and simpler

if the program detect a drive with the BACKUPHD.TXT file, it present the backup options (yes/no) for those who don't do backups.

now for the multicard functions... (this will be "tricky" ;P )
Attached Thumbnails
AE50 - Do you convert to intermediate?-aavc.png  
Old May 26th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Everything done. file copy function, encoding, backup, multi-card readers (up to 6)

just need to add option to install codec in the installer (if encoding function is wanted) and more testing.
Attached Thumbnails
AE50 - Do you convert to intermediate?-aavc2.png   AE50 - Do you convert to intermediate?-aavc3.png  

Old May 27th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Very nice Marlon! Can't wait to try. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)