If you need to wipe the viewfinder.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 18th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Major Player

If you need to wipe the viewfinder....

... make certain you have removed any dirt and dust with air! Yeah, I didn't and it's scratched very bad! My guess is it's made of plastic and not glass? I'll be ordering from the Sony parts site next week.
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: If you need to wipe the viewfinder....

Yes you're right. Keep a can of air with you especially if you are going on a dusty shoot.
Sherman Bahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

i just used this (Matin Knit Lens Cleaning Cloth - Free Shipping - DealExtreme) to clean the lcd (full of fingerprints, we will never touch it again ;P ). its fully perfect with no scratches.

i use for a long time this cleaning cloth in my lenses, cause it don't scratch and remove oily residues without damaging coating. just rub gently for a while ;P
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Major Player

So I took the whole thing apart and pulled the first glass/plastic part off that I scratched. Used headlight scratch/fog remover (Mothers & RainX both and the Mothers' drill/buffer pad) and its pretty much like new!
Old May 20th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Huh? Can you take the viewfinder apart yourself? You did not happen to take any pictures to show how you did it? :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Huh? Can you take the viewfinder apart yourself? You did not happen to take any pictures to show how you did it? :)
Dang it! Well, I was trying to get it done by dinner time. Didn't think to take pics! It's not for the faint of heart though. There were surprisingly more parts than I had imagined. If I get bored soon, I'll take it back apart and take some pictures.
Old May 20th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Document you must! :) Well it's good to know that it's so sensitive to scratches and that it's possible to fix again.
Old May 20th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Document you must! :) Well it's good to know that it's so sensitive to scratches and that it's possible to fix again.
I know, I suck... There were many a swirl marks in it after I tried to remove the fog from it. Wiped again thinking "oily" shirt, but used a microfiber cloth in the camera bag later and the swirls were still there. Once I removed that part of the glass/plastic to the viewfinder, There were indeed scratches--however some of the swirls appear to maybe be a coating being removed??? Not sure if that's the case, but its what it looked like.
When I applied the RainX headlight cleaner, it did improve, however I needed more rubbing to get it finished and manual rubbing with the fingers took a while already. My wife went to go get a buffer attachment for my drill and ended up getting the whole kit from Mothers. Using the drill pad really went quick. I ended up putting the RainX "protector" on it once finished so hopefully fogging will not happen anymore??? We'll see.

It won't be too bad to take back apart and take pics since I've done it already. I'll do it when I get caught up on some work.
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Jerome

Are you talking here about the LCD itself or the viewing tube and all it's bits and pieces?? On my LCD when using a kit lens I often use touch focus so I get fingerprints on the surface but I have been using an ordinary LCD screen cleaner and it works fine...if you are using your finger to touch to focus the natural oils from your finger are transferred to the LCD and wiping just doesn't remove them so a water based alcohol LCD cleaner is needed.

I have found in the heat of the moment at wedding receptions, my top lens on the viewing screen sometimes fogs up but I'm not sure if you are taking the LCD apart or the viewing tube loupe???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:07 AM   #10
Trustee

Mothers, Rain-X, and a Power drill......I found that in my manual....it said kiss your warranty goodbye...

Steve
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:36 AM   #11
Inner Circle

But if you scratch your viewfinder because it had dirt on it that is not covered by the warranty anyway, you could send the camera in but they most likely would replace the viewfinder which would be a costly repair, if it's an easy fix I would try it myself as well.
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:53 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Jerome

Are you talking here about the LCD itself or the viewing tube and all it's bits and pieces?? ... my top lens on the viewing screen sometimes fogs up but I'm not sure if you are taking the LCD apart or the viewing tube loupe???

Chris
The loupe. NOT the LCD. I wouldn't dare take that apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Mothers, Rain-X, and a Power drill......I found that in my manual....it said kiss your warranty goodbye...

Steve
I doubt scratching the eyepiece due to dirt would be covered anyways. Could be wrong, however, I fixed it in a day vs having to wait to send it out, get it repaired, etc... Also this was on the eyepiece on the loupe, NOT the camera itself. If I had to send in the camera for something, I wouldn't send the loupe anyways.

Quote:
But if you scratch your viewfinder because it had dirt on it that is not covered by the warranty anyway, you could send the camera in but they most likely would replace the viewfinder which would be a costly repair, if it's an easy fix I would try it myself as well.
The FS100 loupe appears to be $160 USD the best I could tell from the parts store. Didn't see one for the EA50 listed. This is also why I decided to go ahead and take a look at it and fix it myself.
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Jerome

Whew!! I was getting worried about you ripping the LCD apart. Shucks, the plastic lens on the end of the loupe is only a glorified magnifyer so surely one could find a replacement quite easily. I don't think it's anything too fancy ... I have an extra closeup lens on the top of the loupe so I have slightly more range and don't have to wear glasses and that's a glass CU 52mm and cost me $2.55

Now the point here is that the extra 52mm CU lens screws on TOP of the tube so it protects the Sony lens from damage so go out and buy a 52mm +1 Closeup lens and screw it on OR buy a 52mm UV filter and hey presto, your loupe lens is protected with a glass lens (also cheap to replace)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:55 PM   #14
Major Player

Actually, the loupe is a series of lenses. I didn't take apart the ones in the tube that has the eye piece, but the eye piece has 2 concave pieces sandwiched together liking like a flat ball.

Maybe Thursday or Friday I can take it back apart and take photos.
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:43 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Jerome

So what was scartched?? the lens that sits closest to the rubber eyecup?? ... if it was then putting a cheap UV filter screwed onto the top of the tube would protect it perfectly so there wouldn't be a next time

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)