What are you limiting ISO/Gain to?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:08 AM   #1
Inner Circle

What are you limiting ISO/Gain to??

For guys shooting weddings or night events how much gain maximum (ISO or db) are you allowing to get a reasonable noise free image ? At the moment in auto (or my high manual) I push it to 24db (2560 ISO) and then if I need more subject light I add it with stand lighting or my on camera light which is adjustable.

Sometimes I feel that's a little high to get a nice clean background if I need it ... Does anyone keep the limit lower (or even higher maybe??) I feel the really nice and clean limit seems to be around the 18db (1280 ISO) on this camera but I have nevertheless pushed it a lot further at times!

What's your limit??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: What are you limiting ISO/Gain to??

My LED light on my hotshoe mount is a great filler for the face ...

I limit the ISO to 2500.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks James

Then we are using around the same limit ..yep that's exactly what I do as well .. I use a dimmable light on the camera just to light the subjects face and the ISO limit stops the background or any unlit area from becoming full of noise.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Trustee

I recall setting it to 2500 due to a church video Noa did where he mentioned he had no grain all the way up to 2500 and anything above caused grain which he then cleaned using Neatvideo. So as I hadn't physically experimented myself, I took his word for it and set mine to 2500.

But yes, a hotshoe light is a fantastic way to simply light the subjects face.
James Manford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)