A recent wedding... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 26th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Major Player

A recent wedding...

Here's a wedding I did for a couple of friends in the wedding business. For the most part, everything went ok, except for being by myself and the clouds having a mind of their own. Most shots were with the EA50, but 3 were with my 60d during the ceremony. It was a very short ceremony so I crafted this edit around the speeches.
I used the kit lens for most of this, and used the Rokinon 35mm for most of the dancing and the shot on the street.

Feel free to share your thoughts here in this thread vs on the Vimeo page ;-)

Old May 26th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: A recent wedding...

Hi Jerome

Very nice and a great venue to shoot at too! I think you can give yourself a pat on the back for that!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris! The name of the venue is actually "Venue" lol. In fact, I know the owners well and I went in there to get the shots needed for my virtual set for this show I tried to create... the show isn't on air yet, however I have a few new ideas to take it in a different direction... check out the pilot on this site. It is rough and there ARE some technical errors in it... WedBLiSS.tv @ WedBLiSS
Old May 26th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Jerome?

That is not just clever..it's downright brilliant!! I am so impressed and I cannot see any reason why it shouldn't get a huge amount of support.

Hmmm how about WedBliss Australia?? Our problem here is we don't have cable/community TV so airing online has to be on National networks who are very fussy about content with advertising but I think that your show's coverage will not only be aired and watched but you will get a huge following on-line too. Once the word gets around on Facebook brides will love to watch it and probably will do so online too and not wait or be tied down to a specific time slot during the day or evening ...they can watch the show at their convenience.

Just for interest what sort of costing are you contemplating for vendors ... it would obviously have to be affordable when they say "what's in it for me?" Have you "guestimated" what it will cost a vendor to have an ad on the weekly show? Now, if they appear as guests on a show is that a bonus or do they pay for that or do they get a live spot on the show if they advertise for "X" weeks ??? I'm assuming here that you also shoot their ad for them? Is that a freebie or is that extra?? I think if you can make the advertising worth the vendor's while and make a decent profit too then it will go like wildfire!! The balance between content and ad breaks also needs to be carefully planned for each week.

So many people (even shooting weddings) don't do carefully costing beforehand so I think the ratio of actual spot ads per show and making them within a vendors budget will be the key!

EDIT : It's all on your website SORRY!!! the menu on the top of the page didn't show "opportunities" but there is a link further down ... OK I get the whole picture now and that's VERY reasonable rates too!!!

Chris

Last edited by Chris Harding; May 27th, 2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old May 27th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Chris. Since this is a public forum, I could email you more exact reasons why it hasn't worked yet, but what I can say is this... the market I'm in and geared this show to is fairly small. It's cliquish and the main purpose of this show was to bridge the gap of brides to vendors in a non-political-cliquish-BS manner. The pricing structure you see on the site is different than my initial structure. I think the initial structure scared more vendors than attracting them. Some people thought I was using this as a means to promote MY wedding business by using vendor and sponsor money... absolutely false! I don't even market selling weddings!!! I wanted to use my skills and knowledge I've developed in local broadcast & corporate work to help my wedding vendor friends/colleagues. The benefits of this idea over a bridal show are numerous! The LASTING benefit is that its "timeless" meaning, as you mentioned, the episodes are online. Bridal show booths aren't! The vendor can make their "bridal show sales presentation" (with retakes HA!) one time and reach tens of thousands of viewers and the brides are watching and taking this in in a relaxed manner vs the hustle and bustle of a bridal show.

With all that said, there just wasn't enough vendors and sponsors to initially make the jump and investment to get this show on air--even for online only purposes. Yes, I could have just put it out there and started it half-assed but the show would have probably ended up tanking. Maybe not, but I didn't want to risk a bad reputation of it not launching prepared enough if that makes sense.

Here in the states, there are plenty wedding related tv shows. There's even localized wedding shows in other areas. This isn't a completely original idea--I didn't steal the idea either, however the idea of it in THIS market was original. There's a guy who actually took this idea and put an episode on air and its pure garbage. Most of the vendors I've talked to and several brought it to my attention said they will never support his show as the quality is way too low and that my rough pilot with the technical errors (which I acknowledge that it is a rough sketch) was way better than it.... but that's another conversation.

Too bad you don't have the ability for paid programming in Australia! My plan was to buy the airtime on a sister/affiliate local station so that it would be available OTA, cable and satellite. We do this with the MMA Talk Show I make (Episode 140 this week!)

Anyways, to answer your question about costs... yes, I calculated the break even cost, a comfortable profit level and desired level.

Sine this area is relatively small, Stacey and I have been discussing other directions for the concept of this show.... we'll see what the future holds!
Old May 27th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Jerome

It actually impressed me when I watched the pilot and I thought WOW!! Maybe a little different structure and costing and keep it to an online talk show only might work. Due to archival possibilities of web based shows maybe a monthly show would be more than sufficient??

We do have one community channel but programs can only be sponsored and nothing else so vendors would gain very little except personal exposure ..no advertising or contact details (except for the sponsor at the start) is allowed so it has no commercial value to a producer.

Anyway, it's sad to know that it didn't go live cos it has enormous potential to both brides and vendors. It you do come up with different approaches, I'd love to know your ideas by PM or email ... we have a HUGE industry here (no idea why!) but just locally we have something like 11,000 weddings a year and all the vendors to service it too ... maybe your area just doesn't have enough weddings going on?

Keep me updated on the progress and a belated congratulations of your engagement too..loved that clip!!

Chris
Old May 27th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Major Player

OH there's plenty of weddings going on here, but it just wasn't the right formula to make it work--yet.

That's sad that Aussie TV is so restrictive! Do an online only version!

Thanks! I'll send you the link to our highlight video that Tom made...
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks Jerome

I got the link ..beach weddings are always great and I love casual rather than formal!!

I'm still amazed that Wedbliss never got to air ... I would have thought that brides would have loved a resource show like that during their planning stages and vendors would have loved to featured in it...shucks your advertising costs were mere pennies in comparison to what most vendors pay for promotion!! Hopefully it will become a reality if you get the time between all your shoots ..seems a waste to let all the pilot work go to waste.

Chris
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I don't get it, how on earth do you manage to get such clear audio outside by that lake from bride and groom while I only see a mike on the officiant, I"m sure you have a audio guy with a large boom and the shotgun on the side working for you, just tell us that's the case! :)

Great job, you do get the best out of that camera.
That show you have worked on looks like a great idea and soon you"ll be the person to talk to for any green screen tips for the ea50 :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I don't get it, how on earth do you manage to get such clear audio outside by that lake from bride and groom while I only see a mike on the officiant, I"m sure you have a audio guy with a large boom and the shotgun on the side working for you, just tell us that's the case! :)

Great job, you do get the best out of that camera.
That show you have worked on looks like a great idea and soon you"ll be the person to talk to for any green screen tips for the ea50 :)
I'm a magician! I couldn't hide the mic on the officiant, but I did hide the mic on the groom. It was at the top buttoned button on his shirt--on the inside flap. This also served as a wind screen which was good because I lost/misplaced my windscreens! The wind was coming in the direction from the river, so that also helped. Now, with all that said, there ARE a few spots where the wind is heard quite a bit and I won't be able to fully remove it, but I didn't use those parts in this highlight ;-)

That wedding show was made before I had the EA50, BUT I'm starting to get some really good keys from it on the MMA show which is greenscreened. Here's a short clip from last week's "dirty dozen"

I have a profile only for greenscreen I made and I had to do a simple CC adjustment in post after the key was applied for skintones, but this is the best I've done with the EA50 and greenscreen so far. I think a little more tweaking (when I get some free time) I can get better skintones out of the camera after a key. Honestly, it looks like arse raw video, but after keying, looks much better. When I get the Atomos Ninja2, it'll be a different ballgame.

Profile settings are:
Black Level: -5
Gamma: Cinematone1
Black Gamma: High +7
Knee: Manual 100% 0
Color Mode: PRO 8
Color Level: +1
Color Phase: 0
Color Depth: R +1, G +7, the rest is 0
Everything else is default except detail at -7 & No manual adjustments.
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #11
Trustee

Jerome what audio capturing device/equipment/model no's did you use on the groom / officiant if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds crisp!
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #12
Major Player

My old trusty iRiver IFP-795 and Custom Made GiantSquid Microphone.
You might find some iRiver's on ebay, but here's the mic: Omnidirectional Mono Microphone
Old May 28th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger View Post
My old trusty iRiver IFP-795 and Custom Made GiantSquid Microphone.
You might find some iRiver's on ebay, but here's the mic: Omnidirectional Mono Microphone
Is the audio that clear mainly due to the fact that it's recorded in mono ? or is there another underlying factor ?

Tempted to order that mic to use with my Zoom h1

EDIT: nevermind, just looked a little closer on the website and found this extract 'You will not be disappointed in the sound quality of these mics. They are perfectly suitable for the Iriver recorder, will allow recording in the mono mode and are being used by some customers for wedding videogaphy.'
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #14
Major Player

They're good microphones. Not the best, but good. I did apply a little compression and EQ adjustments, but I always treat audio line I do video. Nothing is ever just raw.
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #15
Trustee

Can any one recommend another set up?

I don't fancy buying from the US as i'm based in the UK.
James Manford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)