Atomos Ninja 2 anyone? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old July 25th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Atomos Ninja 2 anyone?

Steve,

Yes, I believe it is a 2:3 pulldown that's added when I got out from HDMI to the ninja, but its easy enough to fix with Compressor or Magic Bullet Grinder...

I used the following workflow from abelcine:

Simple Workflow for Removing 2:3 Pull Down | CineTechnica

I believe the newer Ninja 2 or Samurai remove the pulldown on the fly during recording but they cost a lot more. For $345 (with all the necessary accessories included minus a hard drive & HDMI cable) it's still faster than transcoding AVCHD to ProRes IMO. I'm happy with the purchase, I almost sprung for the Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle 2 but it is my understanding it has the same pulldown issue and the only added benefit I see with the BMD recorder is uncompressed...but realistically, I don't have the finance/patience to deal with uncompressed video and ProRes HQ perfectly adequate for my needs. The fact that the Ninja also has a monitoring feature built-in as well as the ability to change recording format on the fly (BMD hyperdeck needs to be plugged into a computer to change record format) sealed the deal for me...oh and it can use cheaper traditional spinning HDD as opposed to SSD only with the BMD.
Paul Abbaszadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Atomos Ninja 1 is compatible with ea50?
will see difference in picture?
Was it worth the purchase?
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 12:52 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serggio Lamas View Post
Atomos Ninja 1 is compatible with ea50?
will see difference in picture?
Was it worth the purchase?
Hi Serggio,

I had the Ninja 2 and it was compatible withe the EA50 as far as auto start and stop record, but i sold it because i did not see enough difference to justify the extra work of having it. So I sold it. I know you were talking about the Ninja 1, but that is as close as I can come to having an answer.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #19
Major Player

I recently purchased the Ninja Blade and can confirm that it does work with the EA50's start and stop timecode flag. I shot some beach scenes this past weekend and compared the H.264 and ProRes footage. There is a difference in sharpness, but it is subtle. Here are links to two screen grabs
http://www.leebergermedia.com/Atomos/ProRes.png
http://www.leebergermedia.com/Atomos/AVCHD.png
If you look at the birds and water you can see the subtle difference. Also note the moire pattern in foreground surf. Can't get away from the sensor issues.
Shot with Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC Lens
The nice thing about having the Ninja Blade is that it gives new life to my EA50 and two older HDV cameras.
Old March 24th, 2015, 03:30 PM   #20
Major Player

I have been using my EA-50U with the Ninja Blade and it triggers start/stop via camera and I have successfully shot 24P,30P or 60P on the EA50 while recording 24P or 30P on the Ninja.

I like it. Before it worked I had to go into the menu on the Sony and change the Ninja setting also because at first it wasn't triggering and on some frame rates was showing "no signal"
David Banner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)