NEX-EA50H Firmware Upgrade - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old July 18th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: NEX-EA50H Firmware Upgrade

Actually I think the ability to record the DV format is huge and makes the camera far more versatile. In most live streaming jobs with powerpoints you must have SD out . If the camera can output 720 x 480 you're golden.

That was a drawback of the EX1. The EX1R brought DV back, making the camera far more versatile.

I still make far more money in SD then HD.

So that's a good firmware update. makes the camera even more attractive to me.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I would not mind to have the dv possibility but sure I will never use it, you also need to take care about the fact this firmware upgrade is for a certain region, so it might be that it is not stable if you use it on a camera from another region. I wouldn't use that on a paid assignment.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

I always have another audio source in Channel 1 - Usually a radio mic so my on-cam is on Channel two. That's the way I set up so I was purely relaying information. Nope I never use int mics at all, for me they are a disaster but then again each to their own

Now, Noa so is the firmware for the EA-50H or not for the EA-50H??? Both my cameras are EA-50H models so Australia falls within the Asia/Pacific Area but your cams in Belgium might be different?? Are yours H series too?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #19
Trustee

Hey Chris,

Same here, I don't use the internal mic ether, except in rare occasions. If your going to use the camera as is that's the way I set it up.

The firmware is for the EA50H. You will be fine. My camera is the EA50UH. I did the update and everything is good to go. There is a mistake on the download page. Besides the firmware there are two other downloads, one says it is instructions, the other a manual for the firmware. They are both identical. There is no installation instructions. They are a manual that tell you exactly what and how the update does.

The firmware download (I used windows) is an .exe file. The instructions are built into it step by step. I hope that saves you some time. I scrutinized everything.

Like Al said, I am glad to have the DV and will use it. But like all of us that have the camera know there is much more they could have done. I am not complaining, it is a great camera for what it is.

Steve
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #20
New Boot

I think this is an upgrade for all H series cameras because they changed the specifications for UH model on the website
Sony Product Detail Page NEXEA50UH

EDIT:Firmware upgrade for NEX-EA50EH
http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/nx...ea50eh/support

Last edited by Mladen Palic; July 19th, 2013 at 02:36 AM.
Mladen Palic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Did anyone do the update from N. America region using the Mac version of the update? Any problems?
Mine says "NEX-EA50U" on the base of the camcorder. (Hawaii is considered North America).

I think the H refers to the servo lens.
Steve Bobilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #22
Trustee

I won't be updating my firmware at this current time as it's pointless for me ...

However, this leads me to ask will it cause any problems should they release an update that I want ? will I need to update it to THIS CURRENT ONE, to install another future release ?
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Sometimes my menu options would flash erratically. It only happened a couple of times so I will have to wait and see.
did you still see this behaviour after the firmware update? When the menu flashes, are you still able to operate it?
Old July 21st, 2013, 01:18 PM   #24
Trustee

Hold on guys, there might be a bug in the firmware. Two days after the upgrade I was shooting a house and the time code quit running on the display. The camera is recording and the clips have time code. But my display is stuck on 00 00 00 00 and never changes any more. I have tried free run and rec run, neither one works. UB mode does work.

Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions? I knew I was going to be a guinea pig for everyone by jumping on the upgrade so fast. Now I think I got bit by the pig!

Noa, the menu flicker I mentioned was something that happened a long time ago. It did it twice on the same day and then it never happened again.

Steve
Old July 21st, 2013, 01:34 PM   #25
Trustee

Sure enough, after trying everything I could I finally used the reset button and my TC came back. And of course it reset to version 2 because 1 is no longer on my camera. I going out on a shoot today, a little scary. I will let you know if it keeps working.

Steve
Old July 21st, 2013, 03:18 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Is there no way to revert to the original firmware? I do hope it turns out allright.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 02:01 PM   #27
Trustee

I shot about 100 short clips on a job yesterday. Everything worked fine and my time code is still there.

You cant revert back to version 1 as far as I know. It is not on the download site I am using. Maybe Sony tech support could tell you where to get it if you had to. There is no way to save it yourself. The upgrade process wipes it off your camera.

Steve
Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:48 AM   #28
New Boot

But the new firmware for EUROPEAN version...where is?
on sony web site...no fw downloads , no news about.
Jimiz Zanei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Just launched I think but I'm going to be cautious...and hold fire.
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)