Supplied charger not charging enough? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:25 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Supplied charger not charging enough?

This is a strange one - batteries charged with the supplied charger show 100% when put in the camera but If I wait for them to charge and then put them on my VQ850 (came with my Z1) they continue charging for another half hour before they're full - Tried this with a few batteries - same issue?

Any thoughts?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Supplied charger not charging enough?

Hi Pete

My chargers are AC-VL1 and your Z1 charger looks much fancier ... Dunno if it helps much but my chargers are made in China and have no LCD display either ...I seldom flatten a battery anyway at a wedding so they could quite easily be under charging. Have you tried leaving the battery for 10 minutes and putting it back in the same charger? Mine seem to charge a little extra.

I think I would trust the 805 (probably made in japan) over the VL1 made in China!! The 805 from Sony is over $200 so I would suspect it's a better charger. Just use the 805! I have just finished charging a battery here and it measures 8.4 volts on my digital multimeter which is fully charged. Can you measure yours when it's "so-called" charged in the 50's charger and see if it also has 8.4 volts?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I still use Sony and knock off Sony batteries for my lights and I have 4 different chargers including a real Sony dual battery charger and I can fully charge batteries on any one of them then take those same batteries and put them on another on of the chargers and it will show that it's charging at least for a few minutes. The batteries are fully charged regardless. BTW the same thing happens when I charge my V-Lok batteries even if the battery I'm putting on the charger was fully charged and hadn't been used at all.
I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the charger indicates the batteries are fully charged I'd say you're good to go.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

this i believe is due to charging current,

faster chargers have higher current, so they charge faster, and when battery reach 4.2v per cell, the current start to drop till 10% of original current, then stops. this is the standard CC/CV li-ion charging algorithm

if later you use a charger with lower charging current, the last step is still performed, as finishing current have a lower value. so it still charge the battery maybe 1% to 2% more, but it takes time, as lower current takes longer to get to 10% on higher power batteries

as long batteries are within voltage ranges (4.15v ~4.25v cell) they are correctly charged.

2 cells batteries like the ones for EA50 should measure from 8.30v to 8.50v after charged (most likely 8.40v)

i did a small voltmeter with a cheap charger slot for the battery, its good to see the voltage to "know for sure" the battery is charged. any charger can have a "bad day" and mess it up sometime... ;P
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)