NEX 50 VS AG-HMC 150 in low light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 28th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Trustee

NEX 50 VS AG-HMC 150 in low light

I kinda wonder IF I can get a fast lense (1.4-2.8) How the NEX 50 stacks up against the Panasonic AG-HMC 150 in low light? I cant really compare them with a lens thats 2 F-stops higher.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: NEX 50 VS AG-HMC 150 in low light

Hey Randy

I jumped from Panny HMC82's directly to AC-130's and they had the 1/3rd CMOS chips and not the CCD's. First of all the Panny cameras have nosier gain than the EA-50 and still have smaller sensors hence the need for a fast fixed lens. Based on weddings in dim and dingy Churches with my 130's I found I had to be wide open plus gain in most venues while even at a slow F4.5 the EA-50 could still manage a decent image. With a constant F2.8 zoom on the camera you will find that the bigger sensor and better noise reduction does a very good job.

On my wedding last Saturday I screwed up a bit and stuck with the stock lens in a very dark Church so I did get a bit of noise at some stages when the zoom was out to F4.5 and gain was mostly around 21db which is fine but at 24db you will get noise. What I'm supposed to do (which I didn't) is shoot some footage at the rehearsal at F4.5 and make sure my gain doesn't sit constantly at 21db (which would mean that it COULD easily need 24db at some times)

Seriously get yourself a nice F2.8 constant zoom (either the Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 24 -70) and you will outperform the HMC150 pretty much all the time. The issue with F1.8 or F1.4 lenses for scenes where you have a group of people is the shallow DOF so you really have to be super careful with focus!!

Just bear in mind that you have a fairly comfortable nearly 6' that is in focus at 50mm if you are 20' away at F2.8 but at F1.4 it becomes very tight at just over 2' so that's fine if you just have a single subject but delicate if you have someone standing behind them that you want to be in focus too!

With the tiny sensors in the HMC150 you never really have to worry about DOF so just be careful that you understand what's going to be in focus and what won't when using a big sensor camera before using fast lenses. Going from 3CCD cams to big sensor cams is a new learning curve and you have to think differently about DOF before tossing on a 50mm F1.4 prime. Exposure will be awesome and way faster than the HMC150 but also think carefully about what has to be in focus before using them.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Trustee

I was looking at this little gem

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/727169-USA/Sigma_320101_85mm_f_1_4_EX_DG.html
then maybe a wide angle for tight rooms
Old August 28th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Why spend that much? The Samyung F1.4 85mm is a third of the price and just as good AND you can get it in a Sony mount too so no adapter. That is Noa's favourite lens I believe too so I'm sure he will give you some input.

Far better value than the Sigma at nearly $900!!!

Chris
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Trustee

Thats great! but I cant find it on B&H's website is that the one with the Sony Alpha mount?
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Trustee

ok I found the one you recommended, in addition what about this one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284401-REG/Tamron_AF09M700_A09_SP_AF.htmlDo I need a adapter?
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

I might have to stand corrected but AFAIK Tamron only make a Canon Mount or a Nikon Mount for their lenses ..I use a Novoflex adapter with my lenses

Because I have a use 2 Nikon DSLR's for photography work it made sense to buy a Nikon to E-Mount adapter and then buy lenses that I can also use on my Nikons as well as my Sony's.

Chris
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Trustee

Well I found the 85 mm lens at 1.4 with the Sony e-mount for about $350. I am defiantly going to get one and probably a wide angle one too. I also did some VERY UNOFFCIAL tests with my HMC-150 and Sony NEX. What I found was in low light and stock lens the Panasonic just wiped the floor with the Sony BUT when I gained up it looked like the gain on the Sony was more effctive. In the End with no light I got similar pictures out of both cameras when the Sony was at 21 db gain and the Panasonic was on 12 db gain. I cant wait to run the test again when I get my new lens next month. I consider any lens purchase a temporary thing right now I believe Sony and other companys are going to really start making new lenses for the NEX cameras in the future and I hope to see a 18-200 at 2.8 constant with servo zoom eventually.
Old August 30th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Dream on about an 18-200 at F2.8 constant !! So far the best they have is the new 18-108 at F4 ...However I would love that!!

The Panny wide open (F1.8 I assume?) and at 12db gain is probably about equal to the Sony at F3.5 and 21db gain. You will be quite surprised how much more light gets into the lens with an F2.8 constant zoom!!

You should find the 85mm very fast indeed!! I know Noa loves his one

Chris
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Trustee

I never thought that I do most of my work with a Photographer I worked with him last night he uses Nikons with Tameron lenses I think I will get a Nikon adapter so I can play around with his lenses. His are 17-50 at 2.8 and 80-200 at 2.8.

Randy
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Just be careful with adapters! The el-cheapo ones are exactly what they are. I bought a FOTODIOX one for $15 and it went straight into the bin!! The Nikon lenses were super tight on the adapter and one had to almost force the lens on and the e-Mount end simply didn't go on at all!! These Chinese ones are made with very slack tolerances and they are truly hit and miss affairs so get something that works correctly.

I did exactly what you are thinking ! My photog has a huge collection of Nikon lenses so I just took my camera and Novoflex adapter to his house and played with his lenses ..much cheaper than buying lenses and finding out that they are not as good as you expected!

You will find that 3rd party Nikon lenses are also a lot cheaper to buy than genuine Nikon and often produce results almost as good.

Let us know what you find that works well?

Chris
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Trustee

I thought the only lens adapters are the metabones ones, are there cheaper ones?
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:20 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Metabones makes the only decent speed booster I know of but there are many, many standard adapters for Nikon to E-Mount but 90% of them are absolute rubbish due to poor tolerances during manufacturing and you certainly don't want something costing $15 or $30 that is going to damage your $3000 camera or $1000 lens!!

Mine are made by Novoflex in Germany and work like original equipment and fit perfectly but are a little pricey (around $200)

If you are using Nikon D or G series lenses then make sure that the adapter you buy DOES have an aperture control on the adapter as most Nikon lenses don't have an aperture ring and you need to be able to at least keep the iris full open.

Maybe others can comment on the Metabones adapter as I backed off buying one after Steven Digges had many issues with his. Also be careful with the "copies" of the same ..there is a Chinese one that James Manford bought and it simply didn't fit his camera!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)