Metabones users - a bit of advice please :) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 18th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Metabones users - a bit of advice please :)

Hi - I have the speedboster EF to NEX and was thinking of getting an EF-S lens (17-55 f2.8) so I borrowed an EF-S lens and it simply physically does not fit the adapter - the website however lists EF-S lenses as being compatible and have been tested

Sony NEX System (NEX Full Frame Ready) : Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter (Mark III)

Any ideas?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Metabones users - a bit of advice please :)

Your looking at the Mark III adapter, non speedbooster. They work with EF-S lenses. The speed booster does not.

Steve
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Aha - quite right - thanks Steve - was looking at the wrong adapter page!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Trustee

Yes. There is no glass in the standard smart adapter so it works with EF-S. I do not have any EF-S glass (mine are all EF) so I don't know how well it works at super wide but the mounting is compatible.

I like my Metabones so much I want a Speed Booster now ;)

Steve
Old October 24th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Major Player

I just received my MB SmartAdapter III. AWESOME! Getting in a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 tomorrow. My 100 f/2 Canon USM and that cheap 50mm f/1.8 both give great looking quick test footage. I'll end up getting a speedbooster before its all said and done with, but knowing that Tamron was a EF-S, I went with the plain for now. I just HAD to break away from that kit lens. I might sell the darn thing... we'll see how the Tammy works.
Old October 25th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Trustee

Glad to hear it Jerome! I would hang on to that kit lens though. Don't forget it was designed to work with every function on your camera. Even though it is slow, it is not a bad lens. Now you have opened up ALL of the benefits that come with the EA50!

Steve
Old October 25th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Major Player

True, there may be occasions I'll need it. The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is a pretty impressive lens. The ONLY thing I don't like on it is the focus ring is backwards... but I'll get used to it. It sure beats trying to guess the speed of the kit lens manual focus speed!

Metabones made me like this camera even more! I was going to sell this 100mm f2 Canon lens, but it looks so damn good I think I might keep it. Use only on tripod though. I can't hold 100mm no IS stable enough...
Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Major Player

jerome,
is the tamro 17-50 a canon efs? if so which adaptor do you use? can you control aperture etc?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Yeah it's EF-S. I got the Metabones Smart Adapter III because it is EF-S and because I had a couple other EF-S lenses too. It'll do EF lenses as well. That way I can "cheat" a longer zoom if needed due to the sensor crop... one day I may get the speed booster for the EF lenses for near full frame view.

I'll tell you this, I'm really impressed with the Tamron.

Yes it controls aperture and IS. Just make sure to enable IS on the camera as you would the kit lens AND switch it on the lens too. I forgot to enable on the camera yesterday at a wedding reception!!! Brain fart moment I guess...

Note that I've found that the aperture kind of flickers in both green and standard modes. Green mode is worse. You can't run with auto aperture because it just constantly changes/flickers. I mainly shoot full manual anyways so no major problem for me.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:55 AM   #10
Major Player

cheers jerome
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I have the Metabones Speed Adapter keyed to ancient Nikkor F lenses. Awesome describes how the adapter works in low light and in FF, something no other adapter can do. As an example of low light, go to

to see a moonlight/only hand held test using the vg 20 and 50 24 & 50mm glass, something pretty amazing I must say.
Robert Moran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)