Matte box at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old December 28th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Matte box

So I have the standaard kit lens and also the samyang 24mm and 85mm prime lenses.
I want my lens hoods to look more professional.

I saw this matte box without need for rails.

PROAIM 95MM WIDE ANGLE MATTE BOX WITH FRENCH FLAG for all dv/hdv/dslr cams

But I think I can't use it on the lenses I have?

So if this is not good what can you recommend me that fits my lenses and the nex-ea50?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Matte box

Hi Tom

Do you really need the Matte Box?? I looked at those too and they are great value for money BUT you also will need to buy a rail system because you are using different lenses! unless you want to buy extra screw adapters from them. It will be a lot quicker to rather look for a nice hood for each of the Samyang lenses so you can change lenses without hassle.

If of course you are buying a matte box cos you have square filter sets then that one will work

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Matte box - ProAim is junk, they are Scammers Too

Tom, the ProAim/CineCity (insert your India based shell company name of the month here) is junk.

The matte box I got from them was sloppier than a desert raised pig introduced to a wet mudhole. The finish was garbage too, and the parts did not fit well and the system didn't even fit my camera as they claimed.

They offered a full refund only if I sent them photos showing the incompatibility with the camera they advertised it fits, then after doing so, they said they would refund half upon proof of return shipping. When I sent them a copy, they claimed they were out of Paypal funds, then they strung me along with lies till they received it, then once they did so, they said only sent half back. I have all the email proof.

First class scammers they are.

If you are on a budget, trying finding Ted Ramasola's excellent econo matte box made from plastic food containers. It works great, looks surprisingly slick, and costs less than $10

Or you can break down and get a Lanparte, Movcam, Tilta, etc. All of these are of great quality and semi-affordable.
Old December 29th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Tom

Do you really need the Matte Box?? I looked at those too and they are great value for money BUT you also will need to buy a rail system because you are using different lenses! unless you want to buy extra screw adapters from them. It will be a lot quicker to rather look for a nice hood for each of the Samyang lenses so you can change lenses without hassle.

If of course you are buying a matte box cos you have square filter sets then that one will work

Chris
Chris, I don't really need a mattebox but I want nice hood for my samyang lenses. I really want a big hood for those like the one on the sony stock lens but bigger. I can't find one. My 3 lenses have a diameter between 7 and 8 cm. So if the hole in matte box is 8cm are more it's good for my lenses?

Last edited by Tom Van den Berghe; December 29th, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

With a matte box if you change lenses you will probably have to change the matte box to lens adapter too and then if it's a biggie, adjust it on the rails.

The expandable rubber hoods are often quite nice and big and you could always get a bigger than normal rubber hood and then use a step down ring so you only have a single fitting to change when you change lenses.

If you are looking for a physically BIG hood then maybe look at a used Canon hood they always seem to be larger than other still cameras. If you want a matte box then I would rather get one on rails that has a simple rubber section where the lens goes...that way all you need to adjust is the rail so it butts up against the matte box and then tighten the rail screws. I think it would be too fiddly to have a matte box that is self supporting due to the adapter .... Cine City do have rail systems as well which are not too bad ...just make sure that the rail has provision to mount your tripod plate underneath

Chris
Old December 30th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Major Player

Chris,

thx again to answer my question!
I looked at this

PROAIM MB-600 Matte Box with RS-1 Rail System

But received email from him:

I would like to inform you that with 24mm lens, MB-600 Matte box is not compatible.. With MB-600 Matte box, you will face the problem of vignetting..

my lenses are 67 (stoccklens) ,72 and 77mm. Will there be vignetting?

ALso looked at this one from kamerar:

MAX-1 Matte Box with Donut – Kamerar
Old December 30th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Trustee

+1 Dave.

Tom said in another post he is "tying to pimp out his EA50". I don't think functionality is his biggest concern. Tom?

You could always hang some fuzzy dice from your new matte box!
Old December 30th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Van den Berghe View Post
So I have the standaard kit lens and also the samyang 24mm and 85mm prime lenses.
I want my lens hoods to look more professional.

I saw this matte box without need for rails.

PROAIM 95MM WIDE ANGLE MATTE BOX WITH FRENCH FLAG for all dv/hdv/dslr cams

But I think I can't use it on the lenses I have?

So if this is not good what can you recommend me that fits my lenses and the nex-ea50?
hey, i recommend never buying ANYTHING from thecinecity. they are a budget film equipment company in india, and they make everything with bottom dollar tools. better off flushing your $$$ down the toilet :-/
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

how about this? you can combine the parts and maybe it would give you a good alternative?

QB-15 Rail Kit for QV-1 View Finder – Kamerar

FF-3 Follow Focus – Kamerar
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Major Player

cinecity= lowest possible quality

and are you completely against rails? adding low profile rails opens up the door to tons of great matte boxes
Old December 30th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I figured that the EA-50 already looks pretty good and doesn't really need "pimping out" or fuzzy dice. I think the trend started with the Canon HDV 20 camera which was so tiny, guys started adding stuff to it to make it look acceptable to the customer.

Seriously Tom I don't think you need a matte box, especially because you will be changing lenses too. Surely Samyang have lens hoods for their lenses???

CineCity do produce a couple of neat things but most will need adjustment or re-engineering!! My stedicam initially came from them but required a total rebuild...it was still easier to rebuild the unit than start from scratch!!

OK, I'm off to look for a set of orange dice with black polka dots for my camera!

Chris
Old December 30th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Chris,
Please post a picture or 2 of those dice hangin' off your camera. I would like to include it in my new book. ;-)
Old December 31st, 2013, 12:53 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Hey Don

These ones OK?? I can take them off my windshield mirror and dangle them seductively over the lens hood. Way neater than a matte box too!!

Chris
Attached Images

Old December 31st, 2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quevedo View Post
how about this? you can combine the parts and maybe it would give you a good alternative?

QB-15 Rail Kit for QV-1 View Finder – Kamerar

FF-3 Follow Focus – Kamerar
Chris, I looked at kamerar, looks very good price/quality. But the french flags are so big. That scares me off.
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:27 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I figured that the EA-50 already looks pretty good and doesn't really need "pimping out" or fuzzy dice. I think the trend started with the Canon HDV 20 camera which was so tiny, guys started adding stuff to it to make it look acceptable to the customer.

Seriously Tom I don't think you need a matte box, especially because you will be changing lenses too. Surely Samyang have lens hoods for their lenses???

CineCity do produce a couple of neat things but most will need adjustment or re-engineering!! My stedicam initially came from them but required a total rebuild...it was still easier to rebuild the unit than start from scratch!!

OK, I'm off to look for a set of orange dice with black polka dots for my camera!

Chris
I have samyang hoods for these lenses but I want a mattebox, much cooler.
I saw a second hand one from Cavision

? Cavision Mattebox + support rod. Slechts eenmaal gebruikt. - Professionele Audio-, Tv- en Video-apparatuur - Marktplaats.nl

He's asking 150 euro (about 200 US dollar)

The hole in the mattebox is about 10cm he said me, my biggest lens is 77mm diamater (the 24mm samyang lens)
Will there be vignetting you think?

Otherwise a good deal?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)