Stills jpeg or raw at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old December 31st, 2013, 01:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Stills jpeg or raw

hi,

so i used to frequent this forum for the longest time cause i was really close to getting the EA50, but when i saw a chance to get a FS100 with kit lens for $3,150 with a 2 year warranty i jumped at that chance instead cause it was a rare chance. but thinking about a ea50 as a b-cam.

tonight i rewatched the promo sony made for the EA50 and it clearly says that it takes stills WITH raw support. can anyone confirm this please? i would never use it as a photo camera or a dslr, that would be retarded. i would sooner get a dslr or sony nex 5n or something. i just am dying of curiousity.
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 02:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Stills jpeg or raw

ok, here's what is confusing.

first there is a trailer that says at about 2:45 that it does support raw stills,
https://vimeo.com/groups/153499sonyn...ideos/47713588

and then there is a near identical one that says it DOESN'T shoot raw at the same moment of 2:45
https://vimeo.com/groups/153499sonyn...ideos/47646612

what the heck?! seems obvious they couldn't make up their mind
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi, Chris,

I don't have the NEX-EA50, but my guess is that it does not record raw stills.

- There's no mention of raw still image capability in the owner's manual or on the Sony web-site for this camera's specs/overview.
- The manual doesn't mention any photo format other than jpg.
- Also no mention on the B&H Photo web-site; however, they do state on the B&H site that the camera has "... a clean, uncompressed 8 bit 4:2:2 HDMI output signal" [REFERENCE: The New Sony NEX-EA50UH Camcorder | BH inDepth (look in the comments section)]

I find the way they phrased this part about RAW to be a little awkward,

"16.1 Megapixel Still Image, with RAW Format Support"

In order to get uncompressed video, you'd need to have an external recorder. I could see where the term 'support' would come into use when describing this feature. So, probably just a mix-up during the announcement phase of this camera.

Mark Watson

P.S. I know there's a difference between raw and uncompressed, but some people use the terms interchangeably.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Contributor

It has basically the same APS-C sensor as the NEX-5N and does shoot stills. The specs on the Sony site don't mention raw, but there is the possibility it will do raw stills, since the 5N does. But that has nothing to do with video capability which is strictly AVCHD. Because it is an APS-C sensor, it's going to do the line skipping like the 5N and other APS-C cameras do, I think. It might be a pretty good run-n-gun camera but it's not going to look as good as the FS100 with a set of decent lenses.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Trustee

The EA50 shoots .jpg only. There is no settings for .raw. You can however, choose from a few different aspect ratios.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)