canon adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 14th, 2014, 02:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

canon adapter

has anyone found a decent simple lens adapter for canon lenses to the ea 50? I just bought one for e mount and it doesn't fit the camera :) doh.

thanks in advance
Dave Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: canon adapter

Dave

That is what happens when we buy eBay junk adapters ..I have one in my drawer that also doesn't fit the camera.

AFAIK the Novoflex adapters I use (brilliant workmanship!!) for some reason don't make an adapter for Canon EF but Metabones makes the EF to NEX Smart Adapter II and that even adjusts iris.

Steve Digges is the guy to speak to ..he should respond here or just PM him ...he is a Canon man ..I'm a Nikon guy!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 07:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've got one of these EOS to NEX adapters

Fotodiox Canon EOS Lens to Sony Alpha Nex E-mount Camera Lens Mount Adapter

This a simple dumb adapter but fits well - you will get cropping however with EF lenses - just noticed Chris's comment on the engineering - maybe I was lucky - I don't use it any more however.

I've also go this one

Canon EOS EF lens focal reducer speed booster adapter to Sony NEX 5 6 7 FS700 FS100 VG20 EA50

It's a focal reducer but a dumb adapter as you cannot control the lens iris on EOS lenses - I use it with Samyang lenses which are manual so it's no problem.

Pete

Last edited by Peter Rush; March 14th, 2014 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Just noticed Chris's comment
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 07:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ahaa thanks

yes I have metabones on my 'to buy' list - but right now I've got a golf shoot in about 10 days so I gotta get a dumb adapter or summit. EA 50 is perfect because its an all rounder for visuals interviews and zooms.

Thankyou for the info - on the fotoidox but looks like its in the US - might not arrive in time. I'll try :)
Dave Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 03:34 AM   #5
New Boot

Hello, Dear Colleagues!
I am thinking about fitting EF-mount optics to our e-mount EA50. Especially for this pretty nice lens: Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM: Digital Photography Review that I want to buy with 600D. (I don't own it yet). Searching the Net I've found that there are three electronic adapters that can adapt this lens to EA50:
Metabones® - $399
FF fit A7 A7r Electronic Aperture EOS NEX adapter AF version with rotating tripod collar - $289
DEO-Tech Canon EOS EF/EF-s to Sony NEX Adapter, MXcamera - $239
I don't really expect from those adapters to support autofocusing in video, but I need Aperture Control and - most important! - Image Stabilization for video! support.
Did anyone use those adapters for so called '3rd part' lenses (Sigma, Tamron etc.) and experienced any problems with Aperture and Image Stabilization? (As I said, I don't really care about Autofocus, 'cause as for me, EA50 user with Peaking it is not that critical, and anyway my photo shots I'll do with my Canon EOS).
Thank all of You in advance for Your answers.
Sergei Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Trustee

Gentlemen,

I am NOT one of the guys that is quick to answer with "use search". In this case you are asking about a subject that probably has 100 current treads on it here in the EA50 forum.

1. In short, AF does not work with any adapter I know of.

2. Countless story's of guys going cheap and ending up with a paper weight. Few stories of success.

3. Metebones is high quality. But....it has know issues with third party lenses.

Steve
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Freedman View Post
Hello, Dear Colleagues!
I am thinking about fitting EF-mount optics to our e-mount EA50. Especially for this pretty nice lens: Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM: Digital Photography Review that I want to buy with 600D. (I don't own it yet). Searching the Net I've found that there are three electronic adapters that can adapt this lens to EA50:
Metabones® - $399
FF fit A7 A7r Electronic Aperture EOS NEX adapter AF version with rotating tripod collar - $289
DEO-Tech Canon EOS EF/EF-s to Sony NEX Adapter, MXcamera - $239
I don't really expect from those adapters to support autofocusing in video, but I need Aperture Control and - most important! - Image Stabilization for video! support.
Did anyone use those adapters for so called '3rd part' lenses (Sigma, Tamron etc.) and experienced any problems with Aperture and Image Stabilization? (As I said, I don't really care about Autofocus, 'cause as for me, EA50 user with Peaking it is not that critical, and anyway my photo shots I'll do with my Canon EOS).
Thank all of You in advance for Your answers.
Hi Sergei - The Metabones EF-NEX adapter does not support autofocus (as none of them do) but does support aperture control and stabilsation - the stabilisation however is a function on the lens and not the EA50 - My Canon 24-105 and Tamron 24-70 both have stabilisation that work fine with this adapter and the EA50
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #8
New Boot

Thank You all.
As I wrote, I don't expect working autofocus, but I need aperture control and stabilization. Hoped to read some reviews of the 'cheap' equivalents - I know that Metabones is highly recommended, but for double price? ($240 instead of $400). If all I need is aperture control and stabilizer (as it been written - mostly function of the lens) - do I really have to overpay $160?
Sergei Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #9
Trustee

Yes, you do.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)