stage show shutter 1/25th? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 23rd, 2014, 05:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

stage show shutter 1/25th?

Yup I gotta shoot a really darkish stage show on the stock lens as they want a one camera solution on slow zoom - I suggested 2 cams for prime lenses but no go. So I went to a show and took the ea 50 with stock lens. Too dark at shutter 1/50, horrible noise on auto or 24db gain as the manual settings needed. I tried 1/25th and of course had better results but panning aint so smooth. There's dancing in the show and some fast movement but is this shutter speed forbidden territory with the EA for any reason - I've never gone there before? BTW, the nasty little zooming focus glitch on the lens is cured easily by pressing the auto focus button just before you zoom. ;)

thanks
Dave Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: stage show shutter 1/25th?

Hi Dave

1/25th gives you a LOT more light but sadly I also found that even a slow pan gives you jerky movement...if you pan and watch the LCD you can see the slow response .... Why not work on the lens side or is that mega bucks??? Just changing from stock to my Tokina F2.8 makes a huge light difference BUT that's only a 17-50 zoom!! I would suspect that a big zoom with a constant F2.8 would flatten the piggy bank somewhat??? I have seen nice big zoom Nikons but ouch the price is out of my budget!!

Otherwise a standard still zoom on a Metabones Smart /Focal reducer would give you an extra stop???

Problem is they are pricey too here (over $600!!) I'm always looking for bright ideas for low light at weddings and so far the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 looks like the answer but that's no good for theatre unless you are in front of the stage!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

On my Canon xh-a1 I used 1/25th shutter quite a lot at dark receptions, I only had not much other choice as the camera was not light sensitive enough, as long as there was not that much movement it worked out fine but to shoot a dance show the slow shutter will create a motion blur that you"d better prevent.

Like Chris said there are other options like a faster lens or that metabones adapter but if you don't have that then your only option would be to use a high iso and a preset that crushes the blacks, if you use a preset like pp3 which gives you more detail in the shadows it also will show more noise, with another preset that crushes the blacks more the noise will be less visible but you "ll loose detail in the shadow areas. I"d shoot such a play with my sony cx730 which is a better camera for that purpose.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys

Yeah I need lenses for sure, your recommendations sound good too. The show is on Monday so I'm going to have to do with. I'll have a bash with the profiles but it's a rescue job now. Looks like 1/25th in the dark bits. I'll switch it over, luckily the dancy bits are well lit. If I had 2 cameras I'd do no2 locked-off for free coz they are a lovely bunch - but I don't have a spare right now.

This is gonna be fun ;)
Dave Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dave get a speedbooster if you can afford one from Metabones or RJCamera and a faster lens - I learned very early on that the EA50 stock lens combined with high gain (24db and above) is not a pretty picture. The EA50 is a great camera and I'm into my second year with it, but I never use the stock lens for anything but outdoors shooting.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)