More useful EA50 Info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 30th, 2014, 07:27 AM   #1
Inner Circle

More useful EA50 Info

Don't know if this has been posted before but this might be a useful PDF for EA50 owners - especially regarding picture profiles

http://pro.sony-asia.com/product/res...ndbook_web.pdf

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: More useful EA50 Info

Good find, had not seen that one before.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Is useful for me to get my head around picture profiles - I still find the EA50 (will be still using it for the rest of this year at least) blows out skin highlights easily - and not in a nice way!
Old April 30th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Some presets definitely blow out highlights easier then others, have not used the camera for a few months now since I sold it so I don't recall exactly which presets had the best effect. Have you tried this preset?: https://accidentalvideographer.wordp...sony-nex-ea50/

Eventhough I"m not 100% sure anymore I believe that ab_range2 gave me the best overall results: https://accidentalvideographer.wordp...sony-nex-ea50/
Old April 30th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Just keep in mind that you would need a 15.6mm lens to equal the field of view of a 24mm lens on full frame.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Do you by any chance use the pp3 standard preset Peter? I did like that one for indoors but was not that great for outdoors.
Old April 30th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I always use the PP3 Noa for indoors as it is flatter than the others - I can then tweak easily in post but it's too washed out for outdoors. I find that when skin highlights blow out with the EA50 (especially outdoors with PP3) it looks awful - horrible banding - my old Z1 seemed to be more forgiving and even then any areas blown out looked not so bad. Last week's wedding a lot of filming was outdoors but a real mix of sunny and tree shade - you could be filming a group of people, some in full sunlight and some in darker shade. Exposing for the skin of people in direct sun plunged the rest of the scene into darkness - somewhat to be exprected but hard to claw back detail in post. I wonder if the EA50 sensor has enough latitude to cope with such a variance and maybe for next year I'll revisit my A-Camera options - I love being able to use my Canon fast lenses though!

Maybe it's a limitation of 8bit

Pete
Old April 30th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Inner Circle

It can't be "8 bit" only as my gh3 has a better DR, I"m sure it must be in dialing the right preset to get a good balance between dark and light, only not all camera's handle highlights equally well. I must say that this was not my impression from the footage I got from my nex-ea50, you can see the examples in my link below with some personal videos I shot with that camera.
Old April 30th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I've been successfully using PP3 both indoors and outdoors for several months. Occasional blown highlights are easily brought back in Premiere Pro using combination of Curves & Highlight/Shadow filter (knocking back the superwhites). Simple, quick, beautiful. Works like a charm. No fix for this is other NLEs from my experience, particularly Vegas.
Jon R. Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #10
Major Player

So it seems the general consensus is PP3 for indoors? What does everyone use for outdoors? I've been using PP4 until now but keen to try something different.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Jody

I'm still using a modded PP3 for outdoors ..All I have changed is the colour level up my two points and it's not too bad just a little flat still so I also tweak it a bit in Vegas for saturation.

Once we hit Winter here and I have an easier July I am planning to play with a few profiles and see. I think it also depends what you are shooting too .... PP4 (or just the default with no profile at all) works great for general outdoor shoots but I still find that PP3 is better for shots of people and doing weddings I have plenty of them. PP3 can easily adjust skin tone just by lifting saturation in your NLE so it's great for inside and outside as I forget to change over half the time!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)