Metabones adapter problems - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 16th, 2014, 10:06 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: Metabones adapter problems

I forgot Novoflex does not make one when I recommended it for Jody.

Saying some is for a Canon mount without being specific is bad type. There are three mounts:

FD - very old mount from film days

EF - most common modern mount

EFs - limited use, for crop sensor bodys

Steve
Old May 19th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #32
Inner Circle

My apologies for being dumb here but surely one could use the Metabones adapter purely as a mechanical interface between the Canon lens and the Sony body? Just like a dumb adapter? or do the Canon EF lenses not have an aperture ring?

If you have a Metabones do you have to physically power it up in either mode or can you simply turn it off? The EA-50 doesn't have any firmware that will not allow you to use the camera if it hasn't "detected" a lens. Even in full auto if the camera doesn't "see" a lens it simply assumes one it on and works with shutter/iso depending on the amount of light coming in from a manually controlled iris. With all dumb adapters of course, you lose any stabilisation if the lens has it built-in but I have never found that an issue.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #33
Major Player

None of my Canon EF lenses (and none that I've ever seen) have an aperture ring. So the adapter itself would need some way of controlling the aperture I'm guessing?
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Hi Jody

That's a bummer ..My Novoflex for Nikon (which also have no iris ring) has a aperture control ring on the adapter which is perfect. I wonder why Novoflex don't make an EF adapter? I have a feeling it's something to do with the flange distance on the lens which doesn't allow you to focus to infinity so if you find another EF to NEX dumb adapter make 100% sure it doesn't have flange issues!

It looks like you are well and truly stuck with the Metabones ..a few others make similar adapters but they all seem to be inferior to the Smart Adapter. Since you already have all these Canon lens you have little option but to stick with them and get the Smart Adapter to work correctly .... maybe talk to the Metabones guys here and see if there is a firmware up date that might help??

Good luck and let us know what happens

Chris

Last edited by Chris Harding; May 19th, 2014 at 09:36 PM.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)