Adapter Question for NEX-EA50EH to use my canon lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 28th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Adapter Question for NEX-EA50EH to use my canon lens

this adapter is compatible with NEX-EA50EH to use my canon lens 24-105 f4 or other canon lens?
UK Canon EOS Mount to Sony NEX Adapter Adaptor for NEX FS100 FS700 VG10 VG20 | eBay
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Adapter Question for NEX-EA50EH to use my canon lens

Hi Serggio

I would be VERY hesitant buying an adapter for that price ... I did the same (looked the same too!) for my Nikon to NEX and threw it in the bin!! It damaged the lenses and wouldn't even fit the EA-50!!

I do suggest you read the post 5 lines down about Metabones adapters from Jody and make careful note of Steven Digges's comments about the 3 types of Canon mounts before you buy anything

I'm sure Steve can also advise you on what to buy so you don't waste time and money!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks Chris
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't buy it - It might damage your mount plus it simply won't work with Canon EF lenses as you cannot control the aparture. Also it says EOS lenses but is that EF or EFS? I suspect it's not a focal reducing adapter so EFS lenses but again you won't be able to control the aperture. Maybe it will work with manual lenses such as Samyang but i personally wouldn't waste my money - spend the extra and get something tried and tested but the good folks on this forum :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 03:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks peter, looking for a compatible adapter,whether it is compatible with 24-105 f4?
Pro Lens Mount Adapter, Canon EOS (EF / EF-s) Mount Lens to Sony Alpha NEX E-Mount Camera Automatic Lens Mount Adapter - with Full Automated Functions
Old May 29th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have a photodiox dumb adapter for EF-NEX that works well with my Samyang 14mm - I use it with my Sony VG20 when it's on my Merlin Steadicam. It seems to be well enough made and I've had no issues with it.

The one you have linked to here looks like it might do the business - I can't see a lens in there so I'm guessing it's not a focal reducer so you would get cropping with EF (full frame) lenses. Having said that as the NEX sensor is 1.5 crop factor and EF-S lenses are designed for 1.6 crop factor sensors you may still get vignetting with an EF-S lens

It's certainly a good price though.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:25 AM   #7
Regular Crew

How about this version with a built in ND filter?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1041731-REG/fotodiox_vzlx_thrtl_eos_nex_pro_vizelx_nd_throttle_adpter.html
Steve Bobilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:38 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I would find the holymanta nd filter much better to use then the fotodiox one, the reason is that it will work outside but once you go back in you need to remove the adapter and lens and reattach the lens again, otherwise you"ll loose too much light as that nd filyter doesn't have a "off" setting, even at it's lowest nd stop it will still darken the image, with the holymanta there is a off switch so you can leave the lens on the camera and completely remove any filter that would block incoming light, just like you would have on a regular video camera, in aint cheap though but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I had fast manual primes that I often wanted to use outside and inside.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 07:51 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I would go for the first one. OK, you have to manual focus but there is an aperture ring to adjust iris at least! The second adapter is definitely for full frame lenses but the 1st one doesn't say...usually you need to use full frame lenses NOT APSC lenses. All my Nikon lenses are APSC BUT my adapter by Novoflex has no issues.

I think if you buy the 2nd one you will have hassles with the auto functions!! Even metabones have AF issues so rather go for the dumb adapter like Peter is using! The 1st one also guarantees infinity focus which is important too!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

thanks Chris
I ordered the first will I have tomorrow
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #12
New Boot

Hi Serggio!
Do you get the Adapter? How works it? You can tell something about?
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Wolfgang Wally the adapter works fine manual mode no auto iris,no image stabilization on lens canon 24-105 f4
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)