Vienna Golf shot on Ea-50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old June 11th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vienna Golf shot on Ea-50

Here's my latest Corpo for Turkish Airlines. This one I used the stock zoom and a sony 50mm f 1.8, The camera was set to 'no profile' and I only had to pull the blacks down a bit in post. This is a beautiful golf course btw. I love using the Sony it's a bit large for a monopod but there's no other solution for a tournament like this - tripod's a no no, too noisy and bulky. The 50fps feature allows great slomo that mixes in the edit nicely. Have a gander and let me know what you think.

Dave

Dave Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Vienna Golf shot on Ea-50

Hi Dave,

Great video, some beautiful shots.

Was "no profile" used for the entire video? What made you decide to go with that rather than one of the other profiles?

Cheers
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Awesome Dave!

Shots have a really nice flow to them too ... it's over before you realise which means the viewers attention is on the video all the time ... that's what you want to achieve on all videos!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vickers View Post
tripod's a no no, too noisy and bulky
So everything in the clip was shot on a monopod, also the interviews? I think it looked great, especially considering you only used 2 lenses.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Great Work....
Michael Spanheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Nice work - Shows what can be achieved with this camera that we all seem to struggle with at times :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Nice work - Shows what can be achieved with this camera that we all seem to struggle with at times :)
It's true. I've seen others pull off some stunning footage with this camera that I just haven't been able to match most of the time...
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2014, 03:49 AM   #8
Regular Crew

It took me a tournament to get to grips with what the golfers were going to do next, you kind of have to preempt a bit. Also I realised with such critical focusing I needed to give myself time to expand focus and check the peaking was at its optimum on the subject. On the stock zoom the extra job is to adjust the variable ND filter to correct exposure - I use the histogram. Sometimes I just don't make the shot in time, I guess if your filming a live event that's not an option. The EA 50 stock lens is bad in low light! I never use it in those situations. The camera is a keeper for sure, at least until my next purchase which will be a 4K. The only problem I get is when filming the city associated with the golf course I can't get in anywhere because the camera is too big, the Canon 5D boys just pass me by at the monument ticket office (but they have no 50fps function) and i'm not willing to bag the camera every time and take the lens off. I just bought a Canon 24-70 f2.8. it weighs a ton and I'm not used to it yet, the colour is totally different to the sony lenses - has anyone found this?
Old June 15th, 2014, 03:51 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Oh yeah - all on a Monopod except the slider shots, and just the 2 lenses, I love that little sony prime. I don't use the profiles, I prefer it simple and if i need a certain look I do it in post, plus if you use a really flat 'pro' profile the focus and exposure are tough for a live event. Thanks for the great comments.
Old June 15th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vickers View Post
It took me a tournament to get to grips with what the golfers were going to do next, you kind of have to preempt a bit. Also I realised with such critical focusing I needed to give myself time to expand focus and check the peaking was at its optimum on the subject. On the stock zoom the extra job is to adjust the variable ND filter to correct exposure - I use the histogram. Sometimes I just don't make the shot in time, I guess if your filming a live event that's not an option. The EA 50 stock lens is bad in low light! I never use it in those situations. The camera is a keeper for sure, at least until my next purchase which will be a 4K. The only problem I get is when filming the city associated with the golf course I can't get in anywhere because the camera is too big, the Canon 5D boys just pass me by at the monument ticket office (but they have no 50fps function) and i'm not willing to bag the camera every time and take the lens off. I just bought a Canon 24-70 f2.8. it weighs a ton and I'm not used to it yet, the colour is totally different to the sony lenses - has anyone found this?
I find my Canon 24-105mm lens is sharper than the stock lens and the image has a different quality to it - colours are the same though. I also use the 24-70mm Tamron f2.8 which is my favorite lens - the bokeh is way better than the canon and the stock lens and is sharper than both - heavy though! I still prefer my EA50 over my 5D because, simply put, i can keep things in focus - the 5D has no peaking or zoom focus assist - it's a true nightmare in a live situation
Old June 15th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hey Pete

Sadly yes the stock lens isn't really sharp at all! My Sigma 18-35 F1.8 is razor sharp at receptions and stunning ..that's all I use now. I had an 18-50 F2.8 Tamron but it was the one that got nicked in May and that was also way sharper than the Sony lens. I have been putting off replacing it cos the thieves also made off with my 2nd Novoflex adapter so replacing it means not just the lens cost but another 2nd adapter cost. Once our "lean" season is over (our Winter) I'll spring for another adapter and then a Tamron.

Don't you find that 24mm limits your wide angle shots at a ceremony a little ...sometimes I find I need to go back to 18mm at some stages of the ceremony.... actually I do have a Tamron 18-200 for my Nikons ..I think I just might do some test shots with it against the stock lens? It's not going to help low light at F3.5 but it might be sharper ... As far as I remember Sigma make a 24-70 F2.8 too but it's a brute and very heavy .. I did have one but the zoom kept sticking so I sold it. I think that was quite sharp too!!

Dave? Have you used "no profile" on indoor shots ?? I found the over saturation was very heavy so I'm using a flat profile on indoors ... I think I might try using no profile and then see what happens when you pull the saturation down in post??

Chris
Old June 16th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Chris I use my 24-105mm Canon f4.0 for ceremonies - it goes down to f2.8 with the Metabones which gives me as much as 21db gain in dark churches (normally though around 12db)

I find the 24mm wide enough as I have another camera wide at the back and yet another wide but on the opposite side to me at the front - I just cut to these for wide views and use my main cam for medium/close shots.

The problem I have is filming guests arriving as this is where I need autofocus to track guests walking towards the church - arrival of wedding cars etc - the stock lens is ok for that, but then I'm in and out of the church and as soon as I go back in the church I'm usually at 21-24db gain with the stock lens. I can't possibly switch lenses each time - would be a nightmare.

When I was a film student back in the day I used to use a Bolex 16mm that had 3 lenses on a revolving ring on the front of the camera - what an idea that would be with modern cameras! - and heavy!

Pete
Old June 16th, 2014, 05:27 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Thanks Pete

For me I reckon the Sigma 24-70 would do the job nicely on a dumb adapter. My Tamron 17-50 ( F2.8)also was way sharper than the stock lens!!

Maybe I will put one power zoom on the market and see what I get?? I think I would rather use an F2.8 Sigma or Tamron at a lot less money ...I need to stick to Nikon mounts so I can also use the lenses on my Nikons and my one Novoflex adapter is a Nikon to NEX

Chris
Old June 22nd, 2014, 02:20 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Chris.

The indoor shots on the Vienna video are shot no profile. I had to pull back the saturation like you said and brighten them, the indoor shots were a bit red also but that's easy to fix in post. - it's important to get the white balance too. It's almost impossible to remember to keep flicking from indoor to outdoor on a hectic shoot tho. I'm assuming my canon sets itself to f2.8 on a dumb adapter right? I reckon next purchase for me is the metabones - sounds like it'll solve the lowlight situation. Them tamrons sound great, how about a 70-200 tho?
Old June 22nd, 2014, 03:10 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I find my Canon 24-105mm lens is sharper than the stock lens and the image has a different quality to it - colours are the same though. I also use the 24-70mm Tamron f2.8 which is my favorite lens - the bokeh is way better than the canon and the stock lens and is sharper than both - heavy though! I still prefer my EA50 over my 5D because, simply put, i can keep things in focus - the 5D has no peaking or zoom focus assist - it's a true nightmare in a live situation
Try the magic lantern hack for the 5D, it gives peaking - not sure about zoom focus assist.
Dave Vickers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)